Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY desk top
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I power down my machine every evening and power up every morning. My machine has an SSD hard drive.

My question: Will my machine last longer if I leave power on all the time, or does it not matter that I power down every day? My concern is for the cooling fans being on all the time.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The majority of tech sites say leave it on as it will not affect the system. Remember that if left on it will go to sleep mode and puts the system into low power mode anyway. As for me, it is more personal preference. I have had PCs for more than 30 years and have always turned then off at night and on in the morning. However I always suggest using a UPS for Desktop users as it is like an insurance policy against voltage surges or power outages. Especially during summer months when thunderstorms can pop up almost anytime. This web page has interesting information. And this video from a highly respected tech expert may help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

May I add something more from my observations

1. I worked over around 45 years in few environments. We keep (still) our machines ON 7/24. The interesting thing: after a lengthy time many of them won't turn on again after turning them off. They have UPS, dual power grids and onsite diesel power generators.
  2. For the first time my power bill this quarter shows 32% usage for Standby equipment (they did not break down usage before). After checking around the house, from today I will turn off all machines, chargers .... overnight and wait for next bill. Note: Fridges and Freeze are not included on Standby category.

From point 2 above, it may save you few bucks to keep your machine OFF overnight.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.