Level 1
14 7 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Slowing down after BIOS update

HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Back in January I applied Microsoft Meltdown patch and there was no performance loss, but after recently BIOS update (to v.03.06) my HP Elite 8300 SFF noticably slows down... that fix Spectre vulnerability but slows my computer too much. InSpectre app allows to disable Spectre patch and then performance is fine but vulnerability is back. What is better performance vs security and how real is Spectre vulnerability... What is Your recommendation about this. 

Thank You.

2 REPLIES 2
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Software and driver results for: HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small Form Factor PC

lists:

Type: BIOS
Version: 00.03.06 Rev.A
Release date: Feb 22, 2018
File name:  sp85516.exe    (17.5 MB)

ROM Firmware for 8300 Elite and 6300 Pro Business PCs (K01)

lists:

Fixes:

• Provides the latest Intel Microcode versions 0x1F for Ivy Bridge processors and 0x2D for Sandy Bridge processors.
  • Adds a new BIOS Setup policy to allow the Power On Password prompt when Wake On LAN is enabled. NOTE: This new setting will be enable by default, and will prompt for Power On Password during a Wake on LAN event.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.

I don't see any mention of this update remediating Meltdown/Spectre.

But, from: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091#

HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF PC / 03.06 / SP85516

This page states that this is the appropriate update for Meltdown/Spectre.

> How real is Spectre vulnerability.

It is 100% real.  Not "vapour-ware".

However, it requires "local access", i.e., if your computer already is compromised, then this vulnerability can be exploited.

Compare to leaving your home's front-door unlocked, and leaving open the door to your security safe -- an invitation to empty the contents of the safe.

Lock the front-door, and you can leave the safe unlocked.

But, "defense in depth" says to lock the safe.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
HeliosGnosis
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Being part of the inner community of any and all such things of a digital nature for many decades now, I can say it is very real, but not a real threat persay.  Heck,  for the most part the common computer nerd subculture have used this fault in the micro substructure on intel based and yes even AMD based CPU's for the longest time to get an long since dead and forgotten cpu on the top ten list of benchmark site just to mess with peoples heads. These 2.0-2.5ghz cpu I am so mentioning here having benches of 6-9ghz back in 2011-2014 did not until as of the past couple of years get a pin on them of this supposed dangerous fault in the substructure of the microchip.  That being said,  why on earth if so dangerous would a person who knows what they are doing use this fault on themselves to get such a high bench mark on at the time of said benchmark test was a top of the line cpu that cost a pretty penny.  Take that with a grain of salt,  but I can say this.  Bios updates from the makers do indeed slow down your rig.  Which is rather illogical considering it shipped under clocked to begin with.  Keep that speed down so the customer comes back sooner for a faster more modern computer then like clock work 3-4 bios updates in an update to the microcode that guess what,  slows the cpu and computer down as a whole.  Been part of this world for a long long time. This is not myth, This is business,  and as any CEO would see it and even myself,  good back up plan,  to increase sales to a public who has zero clue that this is going on that same public probably also has no idea what most of what I speak of here even means.  Basically, it can be used to melt that little ole cpu to the motherboard and or fry it out,  or it can be used in a controlled way to have a higher clock speed than a cpu that was released yesterday as an example,  fun stuff.  True stuff. But your concern were of merit.  Use the program to disable the microcode update and use good firewall and port logging services to keep tabs on who and what has access to your kernel and subsystems and you will be good. And ALWAYS remember  the command line and power shell is your friend when it comes to knowing if you are being ripped off on the speed you paid for,  this goes for your ISP as well,  unless you have the latest AC 5ghz chip on your wireless card do not use wifi,  you will not get your full speed you are paying for,  this is why that install guy or gal from the cable company says the word wifi and wifi connection so many times during install,  you using less bandwidth saves them money all the while you are the one not getting what you paid your hard earned dollars for. Play safe kids.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation