Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
510-P026 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey folks, I could really use some help.

I have this computer, which is based around a 6th gen i5 chip, which I updated drivers/etc a while back, and I believe the issue is probably somehow linked to the bios.  

After update, the computer wouldn't boot.  It would get to the HP logo, and stay there forever. 

If I pushed ANY key (enter setup, bios, boot from other drive...whatever), it will say what the key does on the bottom right, but not actually do anything (Try to enter BIOS, and it would say 'ENTER SETUP', but wouldn't go any further.

In my troubleshooting, I ended up thinking my SSD (Crucial addition) went bad, and replaced it with the original 7200 RPM drive.  It booted right away....it runs great, albeit slower than I believe it should.

I've tried reverting bios (won't allow me to), changing the settings, etc.  

I RMAed the SSD and tried the new one.  Same deal.   I used the SSD in an older build to test it and installed windows and it worked fine.  Definitely not the HD.

Another interesting thing is I tried to install Windows 11 Insider Edition yesterday, via multiple methods, and it failed every time on first boot with an error 'tried to write to read only memory'.  Installed it on another computer with no issues.  

I'm lost...I know there's something I'm missing, but I have no idea what it is.

System information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-UDUN62D
System Manufacturer HP
System Model 510-p026
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU V8P11AA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.42, 11/26/2020
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 81B4
BaseBoard Version 00
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
User Name DESKTOP-UDUN62D\damon
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 7.73 GB
Total Virtual Memory 29.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 23.9 GB
Page File Space 18.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Damonmorris --  I RMAed the SSD and tried the new one.  Same deal.   ... Definitely not the HD.

Strange that two SSDs show the same symptoms.

Maybe, the motherboard is "allergic" to the specific brand of SSDs that you have used.

What happens if you try a SSD from a different manufacturer?

HP Recommended

Hello @itsmyname

I very much doubt it is the Crucial HD.  It worked for about 8 months before the bios and driver updates.

I just don't understand why the system will not do ANYTHING with the HD attached.  With any other HD (physical, not SSD) it boots and works properly...outside of the inability to update the system to the new Windows.

HP Recommended

@Damonmorris  -- I very much doubt it is the Crucial HD.  It worked for about 8 months before the bios and driver updates.

We will never resolve your speculation, unless you actually try a different brand of SSD.

I just don't understand why the system will not do ANYTHING with the HD attached. 

If the BIOS is "waiting" for a response from the SSD, and the SSD never responds, or responds in a way that the BIOS is not expecting, then "nothing" will be observed.  

HP Recommended

SSDs also have different companies just like any computer hardware that you buy. All hardware will have multiple companies which manufacture them. So you need to do your research before you buy as to who gives you the best product.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that. Crucial is one of the biggest names in solid state memory for years now.

The problem is the hp pc, not the hd. I'm using that he in another computer now and it ran in this computer for a long time with no issue until updates...I think the bios flash didn't work right or it was the wrong software or something z but I cannot revert back to whatever the thing shipped with...it just won't let me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.