Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TG01-0023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone.

Just yesterday I finally managed to get my hands on a TG01-0023w, and I was surprised to find that it had a Ryzen 5 3600 installed inside of it instead of a 3500. As neat as that is, I've noticed that temps are a bit higher than I want them to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a CPU cooler upgrade that will fit the Erica board's strange mounting solution? It doesn't look to me like it's an AMD pattern and I don't want to just buy coolers until I find one that matches up.

Also, what's the best way to monitor temps? Omen Control Center just flat out tells me it's always at 30°. Ryzen Master is more reliable and makes more sense but I just want to be sure I'm doing everything properly 

20200912_190245.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After weeks of research and the help of this video: https://youtu.be/Aoiwao7GhCM I was FINALLY able to upgrade the cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600 in my TG01-0023w.

It will require you to remove the stock backplate on the CPU, which is the most difficult/delicate part of the process. Once the plate is off, it's smooth sailiing. Now I understand why HP does not recommend or condone these moficiations. Not to mention, it possibly voids any and all warranties (disclaimer).

Hopefully this helps anyone else looking to perform this upgrade.

I upgraded to a Noctua NH-L12S, using the included LGA-115x backplate. My idle temps are now in the mid 30s. Under full load they're hover in the mid/high 70s. Overall, I'm very happy with this upgrade. Good luck!

HP Erica Motherboard_back.jpgIMG_3021.jpgIMG_3023.jpgIMG_3031.jpgIMG_3033.jpg

View solution in original post

Here is the next big, small gaming desktop from HP, the TG01-0023W, another great offering by Walmart that is priced at $599 new and $499 refurb, but the refurb is practically new. Following my Pavilion 690 mods from last year, I had to grab those new ones versions of the popular gaming desktops ...
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi@TikPandora, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Please find HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0023w Product Specifications

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information, but it still doesn't help me with what sort of CPU cooler I would need for an upgrade. I just want to make sure everything is as chilly as possible and it doesn't look like standard AM4 mounting.

HP Recommended

I had / have this same computer and same problem (HP gaming PC with GTX 1650 Super and Ryzen 3500).  I believe the case is simply not designed for having a graphics card that can produce 100w of heat, combined with adding a likely Hard disk drive.

The CPU is choked for fresh air and the only air it can get is the hot exhaust from the graphics card, plus heat from the power supply.

When I removed the CPU heatsink, I noted that it was cheaply made.  No copper visible.  Even the AMD ones have copper on the CPU contact plate.

The problem is that the heat sink screws to the metal panel on the case.  That's why the case feels ridiculously hot, and thats also why your typical AMD / Intel aftermarket coolers might not work (because they are meant for push pins or for AMD style clip and brackets).

Also the motherboard temperature sensors don't work very well so this is part of the problem you've observed, combined with no fan control ability.  It is set to be silent and hot. And also set to turn off the case fan whenever the PC is "idle" (monitor off).  So when you walk away...it will over heat.

I fixed the problem but it required a new motherboard, new case, new power supply, and new memory (not required but might as well).  And yes an Arctic Freezer 7x CPU cooler. Would have been more efficient to buy a different computer with a better thermal solution, better airflow characteristics.  About $150 more for a better computer vs about $300 in parts.

I would have saved money by returning it to the store but I needed a PC to use while waiting for parts.

HP Recommended

@TikPandora,

I understand  design will not support upgrade CPU coolant   .I suggest You can add extra desktop chassis fan desktop i case needed 

.But HP not recommended the heatsink which existing is compliable to cool the temperature of the CPU .

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am planning to experiment with a Noctua cooler and a LGA1151 mounting kit. The AM4 socket on the TG01-0023w apparently uses an Intel 75x75mm mounting patern.

HP Recommended

After weeks of research and the help of this video: https://youtu.be/Aoiwao7GhCM I was FINALLY able to upgrade the cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600 in my TG01-0023w.

It will require you to remove the stock backplate on the CPU, which is the most difficult/delicate part of the process. Once the plate is off, it's smooth sailiing. Now I understand why HP does not recommend or condone these moficiations. Not to mention, it possibly voids any and all warranties (disclaimer).

Hopefully this helps anyone else looking to perform this upgrade.

I upgraded to a Noctua NH-L12S, using the included LGA-115x backplate. My idle temps are now in the mid 30s. Under full load they're hover in the mid/high 70s. Overall, I'm very happy with this upgrade. Good luck!

HP Erica Motherboard_back.jpgIMG_3021.jpgIMG_3023.jpgIMG_3031.jpgIMG_3033.jpg

Here is the next big, small gaming desktop from HP, the TG01-0023W, another great offering by Walmart that is priced at $599 new and $499 refurb, but the refurb is practically new. Following my Pavilion 690 mods from last year, I had to grab those new ones versions of the popular gaming desktops ...
HP Recommended

I use MSI afterburner to monitor temperatures, It also allows adjusting Overclock, but it is great for monitoring temperatures and adjusting fan speeds.

HP Recommended

This is an awesome guide to solve a big problem that this PC has. Unfortunately, I already decided to just take the GPU, the CPU, and the SSD and repurpose them into an actual PC build. I could never manage the temps on the single-fam 1650 Super in the very airflow-lacking case of the TG01.

HP Recommended

What case fan did you use on the side panel?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.