Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Product Number Z5L80AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed a M.2 SSD into the SSD M.2 slot on my motherboard, I made sure to check in bios that the m.2 slot was enabled and it was. However, no matter what I try I cannot get it to show up in bios as a bootable drive nor can I get it to show up in windows via disk manager? Is there anything else I could do to potentially solve this problem?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Did you buy a SATA M.2 drive or a PCIe 3.0x4 NVME drive?

Some HP PCs don't play well with SATA M.2 drives.

Regards

HP Recommended

It's a Sata drive I believe. It's weird you say that cause out of all the research I've done the past 2 weeks trying to figure this out what I've mainly see is people saying that the m. 2 slot only supports SATA based SSD's. Atleast I'm pretty sure it's a SATA based drive, it's the Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G model.          

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Toshiba is a SATA device.

You should return/exchange for a PCIe NVME M.2 drive.

Regards

HP Recommended

What is the  brand and type interface of  the M.2 SSD?

Have you check with the Diskpart utility to see if it is recognized by the OS?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I'm just recently learning about m.2 and SSDs in general honestly. Theyve finally got to the price point to where the benefit definitely outweighs the cost for me. Im going to attach a photo so you can see exactly which it is, unfortunately Im not really sure what your asking by that... Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, I took it in landscape and didn't know it was gonna flip it upside down like that when uploadingSorry for the poor quality of the photo, I took it in landscape and didn't know it was gonna flip it upside down like that when uploading

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

What is the  brand and type interface of  the M.2 SSD?

Have you check wth the Diskpart utility to see if it is recognized by the OS?

Unfortunately I'm just recently learning about m.2 and SSDs in general honestly. Theyve finally got to the price point to where the benefit definitely outweighs the cost for me. Im going to attach a photo so you can see exactly which it is, unfortunately Im not really sure what your asking by that... However I do know about the disk utility in windows 10 when you want to add a new drive or just add new partitions to an existing drive etc. That was the first thing i tried after the BIOS didnt help at all and it doesnt show up whatsoever. Not even in the drive utilitySorry for the poor quality of the photo, I took it in landscape and didn't know it was gonna flip it upside down like that when uploadingSorry for the poor quality of the photo, I took it in landscape and didn't know it was gonna flip it upside down like that when uploading

HP Recommended

Tis a good thing that I have an image editing program on this PC.  All I needed was the brand and part number. 

Why do I need that? Simple. Not all M.2 drives are compatible with every PC. 

Now I need to find the manual for your PC to see if the SSD is compatible with your  PC. The model you purchased is a SATA3 interface type with TLC memory. 

I will edit this this as soon as I determine what will work in your desktop PC.

Your Lubin motherboard does support NVMe M.2 SSD products. 

That is likely to be why the SATA3 M.2 SSD is not recognized by the BIOS

M.2 SSD compatibility with the Lubin motherboard that your PC has was discussed in the past.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Boot-from-M-2-SSD/td-p/6283247

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have assisted other forum members having Lubin motherboards.

A PCIe NVME M.2 drive will work, A SATA M.2 drive will not work.

The NVME drive may only run at PCIe 3.0x2 speeds (the newer NVME drives are rated at PCIe 3.0x4). This is still faster than a SATA drive but you will not get the top speed advertised on the box.

Regards

HP Recommended

Awesome! Thanks for all your guys help. Is there any specific drive that youve come across related to this motherboard that you know for sure works? I was leaning towards something like a ocz or maybe even a kingston or adata? I currently have a regular sata3 ocz ssd and im happy with it for the price i got it for sure, down the line the goal is a samsung evo series with generous amount of storage so i just need something thats compatible, and relatively cheap until then

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.