Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteOne 800 G5 23.8-in All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The fingerprint scanner often doesn't work, you can't log in, but the scanner is enabled in device Manager, and the latest driver versions are installed. What might be the problem?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@EdiP 

Assuming the setup is correct, I would guess from looking at the illustration in the Service Guide (page 4) that the design just does not easily lend itself to other than a straight-on brush of your fingertip over the fingerprint reader.  That is, if you happen to slide your fingerprint at other than 90 degrees to the opening, the fingerprint might be read.

This is, again, a guess.  My opinion is based on having had several "other" fingerprint reader devices on various systems.  I have not had this particular type (vertical slot requiring the side-slide).   The only completely stable reader that I have used is the "original" slot type reader found on the keyboards of older systems (example ZBook 17 G3 workstation).

What to do?

Slightly wet your fingertip (only very clean hands, please).

Slide the fingertip at 90 degrees to the opening.

Try using a different finger - this can be awkward due to the location of the reader - worth a try, though.

It appears that the monitor does not adjust up/down - IF that is the case and if you cannot easily reach the reader at the 90 degree angle, consider raising the monitor up on a stand to increase the height between the reader and the work surface (desk).

Will that help?  Unknown.  

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

➡️  HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

HP EliteOne 800 G5 23.8-inch All-in-One

OR

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed answer!)

But before writing here, I repeatedly tried different options for touching the sensor, at different angles, downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the official HP technical support site - the scanner is still not stable. I believe that this is considered the norm on this monoblock. Then the meaning of its use is negligible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.