Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I bought a pre-build pc about 2 weeks ago- HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, with Intel Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB and I only added a Samsung NVME Evo plus 256GB drive for operating system.

The problems I am experiencing with it are under normal workloads where CPU load is 55-60% the temperatures go way up and reach 90C..Turbo boost is stable at 4,28 Ghz untill the temp is above 93C then it begin to thermal throttle about 20%. The cooler which i think is stock Intel cooler may not be good enough.
The case is pretty small too..I have not experienced any blue screens or errors...except dropping performance and lower framarates untill the temps are below 80C. I have not overclocked anything and I don't intend to..all I want is normal temp and to avoid thermal throttle!

If I try a FPU stress test CPU reaches instantly 95C and TDP is around 100W begins to thermo throttle untill the stock cooler kicks in to cool it off faster...so I tried to avoid stressing it for some time...but I am still experiencing CPU throttling and overheating in video editing and broascasting tasks.

I have the latest BIOS update and latest Windows 10 64-bit with the updates etc...there are no Options in BIOS

Changing the cooler will void warranty.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Grizzlys2k , welcome back to the forum.

You seem to be very computer saavy.  It may be as simple as replacing the thermal paste/compound on the processor.  When 1000's of computers are manufacturered each year, it is not unbelievable that the thermal material has not been properly applied.   Also, you could tighten the screws holding the cooler in position.  They may not have gotten tightened properly.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I strongly agree with you and with your advice..its very possible to be the thermal compound or insufficient cooler...but other than tightening the screws...I will loose the warranty if i change things there .After all it was more than $1000 computer and was brand new as it has 2 weeks old! Giving up a 2 year warranty and try to fix it myself doesn't seem a good option for now!

Making thousands of computers and making mistakes it's an unacceptable excuse for a computer at this price range.

I choose this computer because I dont have enough time to assemble one piece by piece right now...and I wanted something "plug and play" just to continue my work..but seems like it was a bad choice beucase I have to waste time fixing issues that should't exist in the first place.

Thanks

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.