Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an HP Omen 870-244 (Z5M59AA#ABA) desktop PC featuring the Thimphu-K mobo. The description on this board is somewhat lacking in documentation, especially in the M.2 department.The HP support page for the Thimphu-K shows the two slots and on one of the slots it says socket 3. I am not sure if that translates into PCIe 3.0 x4, which is what I'm hoping for. Neither description gives me the length of the slots.

The Thimphu-K features two M.2 slots:

1x M.2 2242mm length (presumed) Currently occupied by a WLAN/Bluetooth card

1x M.2 2260/2280mm length (presumed) Currently unoccupied

I have three questions:

1. Are my assumptions correct regarding slot length?
  2. Is the unoccupied slot PCIe 3.0 x4?
  3. Would there be anything that would keep me from taking advantage of the speed from this Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB drive?

Here is a link to the drive itself: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820167461

Its very inexpensive with speeds of up to 1800 MBps read/write.  A nice middle ground drive from the slower 600 MBps M.2 SATA drives that cost a bit more than the Intel I want versus the ultra-expensive, blazing fast 3500 MBps Samsung-esque drives. Thanks for your time and answers!

Thimphu-K M.2 slotsThimphu-K M.2 slots

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State DriveIntel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you are correct!!!

Those both slots are PCIEX4 slots ...one occupied by WLAN...

You can use the other slot for SSD....NVME PCIEx X4 drive.You can use the Intel SSD with no problem! ( I think you will also need to buy a screw for it to secure it on the motherboard) 

I had to look in computer stores for one...as my motherboard didnt have one.I bought the 256 GB Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVME PCIEx drive...beucase I wanted to install the operating system on it...and indeed I have the tested speed of  3500 read and 2500 write...which i think its decent enough!

So go ahead and get it installed!!! You will have no problems using it!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes you are correct!!!

Those both slots are PCIEX4 slots ...one occupied by WLAN...

You can use the other slot for SSD....NVME PCIEx X4 drive.You can use the Intel SSD with no problem! ( I think you will also need to buy a screw for it to secure it on the motherboard) 

I had to look in computer stores for one...as my motherboard didnt have one.I bought the 256 GB Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVME PCIEx drive...beucase I wanted to install the operating system on it...and indeed I have the tested speed of  3500 read and 2500 write...which i think its decent enough!

So go ahead and get it installed!!! You will have no problems using it!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Thank you for such a swift response! I am very happy to hear that it will work out. Enjoy your kudos. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey I was wanting to know since you seem like you know your stuff does this motherboard only support NVME or can a sata 3 M.2 work?

HP Recommended

Hey I was wanting to know since you seem like you know your stuff does this motherboard only support NVME or can a sata 3 M.2 work?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.