cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Transferring programs and files from a old pc to a new pc?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new computer. I would like to transfer all of my old programs and files from my old computer to my new Pavillion 590. I can only use 1 pc at a time since I have only 1 monitor. Can I connect my old hard drive to my new pc and create a separate drive on the new pc? Would it be easier to buy an external hard drive to do the data transfer? What is the easiest way to transfer the programs and files this without turning on my old computer? Note I do not have the old software discs, or program product registration keys to re-load software. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
85,657 85,544 10,864 23,269
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kalihi

You can transfer all user files/data to your new computer but for many applications you have to re-install them even you ONLY use one computer at any time.

If you wish, there are few software which allow you to do that

https://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/transfer-programs-to-new-computer.html

https://www.zinstall.com/how-to/how-to-transfer-programs-and-files-to-new-computer

Again, you can transfer (means move).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Both of the software option require that I run the old pc and the new pc to do the transfer.

Could I use my back- up disk and upload my old programs to the new pc? i only have one monitor, so I can only see 1 pc at at a time.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,665
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kalihi wrote:

Both of the software option require that I run the old pc and the new pc to do the transfer.

Could I use my back- up disk and upload my old programs to the new pc? i only have one monitor, so I can only see 1 pc at at a time.  Thank you.

A little "clumsy", but if you have two keyboards & two mice and two power-cords, you can disconnect the monitor cable from one computer, while it is running, and connect it to the other computer, while it is running. Disconnecting the monitor does not affect the running computer.  Been there, done that.

Note that there exists free programs like 'PRODUKEY' which can "dig" into your old computer, and extract the product-keys for some software programs.  Then, you should be able to download the software programs onto the new computer, and use the "harvested" product-key(s).

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation