Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I recently purchased an i7-4790 CPU for my HP Envy 700-214.  According to the HP website, this chip should be compatible with my PC.  Unfortunately, when I install the CPU the computer will not boot.  The PC will power up, fans will turn on, etc., but the monitor stays blank.  I cannot access the BIOS or do anything further at this point.

When I removed the i7 and replaced it with the original i5 processor, everything is operating as expected.  I have swapped the chips several times to verify that it was not installer error, and each time the same thing occurs - the PC will not boot with the i7, but boots and works fine with the i5 processor.

I have searched to see if there were any relevant updates for my PC that would cause this issue, but I have come up empty and the PC appears to be completely up to date in all respects.  Is there any step that I am missing?  My understanding is that this should be fairly "plug and play" and that the PC should autodetect the new processor.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CBudd 

Please try to update BIOS from its support page and try again.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@CBudd 

Please try to update BIOS from its support page and try again.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

When I go to the software and drivers page it is not giving me an option for updating the BIOS.  I also tried to see if I could find it through the HP support assistant, but also no luck there...

My current BIOS version is 2.15.1236 from 2014.  Is there another way I can search the website for possible BIOS updates?

HP Recommended

To be more clear, the BIOS is AMI 80.19, 7/18/2014

HP Recommended

Sorry to keep posting, but I was able to successfully update to BIOS Version/Date AMI 80.23, 7/6/2016.

I will give the processor install another go and see what happens!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, after the BIOS update I am having the same problem.  The machine powers on, but does not move forward or attempt to boot, and I can’t access the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Okay, final update:  I got it working with the new i7 chip.

As suggested above, the BIOS update was needed.  For anyone looking to update their Envy 700-214 (I guess there can't be that many of us around these days!) the BIOS updates are somewhat "hidden" on the HP website.  Since I am running Windows 10, it was not giving me the latest BIOS update as an option to download.  I had to look under the Windows 8.1 operating system for my machine in order to see available updates.

Once I updated the system and changed CPU's, I was still getting a no boot situation.  My final hail mary attempt was to reset the CMOS.  I didn't have high hopes for this, but ultimately after removing the battery and waiting 5-10 minutes, I reinstalled the battery and reconnected my power cables, and the system booted.

Thanks for the help, and hopefully this helps someone else out down the road!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.