Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. When I launch Omen Command Center and change the Lighting Mode from Static to Off the PSU fan is also turned off. This sounds like a mistake and the cabinet was very hot when I figured out what was going on. The pc has just returned from repair (new GPU) at HP. Did they assemble something wrong or is this normal behaviour?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have a new PC.

I would talk to HP Support again if you have concerns. You should have contact documentation included with the recent repair.

Many new PCs have a passive power supply fan mode.

You have to check component temps to detect a problem.

Is your PC stable when you game or stress the system?

PC stability and acceptable component temps are the bottom line. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi

I have had no contact with HP directly. I returned the pc to the retailer where I bought it and they handled the repairs with HP.

It is not a question of a passive fan. I can feel the air flow when the green pc lighting is on and the flow stop when I turn the light off. The air flow starts up again when I turn the light on.

The pc seems stable except in two cases where the display turns off and the fan speeds up to full speed. This happened a lot earlier and this was why I returned the pc for repairs. Now I have experienced it twice after repairs. I have no idea if it is related to the lighting/fan issue.

Cheers Michael

HP Recommended

Hi Michael,

Well, the power supply fan should not work in conjunction with lighting effects. But, HP does use passive power supplies on newer consumer PCs. The power supply fan runs when internal PSU temps reach a certain threshold.

A intermittent random loss of display with fans running at full speed is also a problem that should not be related to the power supply fan problem. You could have any number of hardware problems or driver problems or system file problems causing erratic behavior. You have a problem but it may be difficult to isolate the cause. You could a have a flaky component down to the motherboard.

I would run HP Diagnostics to check hardware. Tap "ESC" at startup. Select "F2".

Run system tests.

It would not hurt to use the Microsoft System File Checker tool commands available at this site (Link).

Also check your PC's download support site for updated HP drivers and a BIOS update that may fix the problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi

I have run several of the HP Diagnostics now. The tests ran without errors. I tried to run the extensive tests "until error" and found this in the exported logs: "Loop Until Error Test Loop Count=3", so the loop has run several times. The screen did go black though sometime during the test. I could stop the test by pressing ESC so the pc was responsive. After a reboot the screen came back on and I could export the logs. The logs are not that easy to interpret but if "loop until error" continues to loop I guess that the tests hasn't encountered a problem.

I also tried the dism & sfc commands described via the link you provided. No problems here either. 

All HP drivers and BIOS are up-to-date. 

The pc has been stable for four days now, but I also keep the lighting on now. I want to turn it off, but I don't want to run without the fan. It's a weird issue.

Cheers Michael

HP Recommended

Hi,

You do have a weird issue.

You have a HP warranty. You should be able to directly talk to HP.

Something is out of sync.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yeah, the pc will soon return to HP for repairs again. It crashed three times yesterday with "Hardware error" according to Windows Reliability Monitor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.