Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion p6740f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have upgraded ram memory to 16 gig. Would like to upgrade processor to max for that model hp. What I have now is: 

AMD Phenom(tm) ll X4 955 Processor, 3200 mhz, 4 Core(s) 4 Logical Processor.

Thanks for any help I can get. Retired on fixed income or would buy new Hp desk top.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Would like to upgrade processor to max for that model ... retired on fixed income ...

When you use the Windows "Task Manager" or "Process Manager", does it show that your current CPU is maxed-out?

Compare paying for a CPU upgrade to buying a Ferrari to shuttle the grandchildren to school -- it's money that you don't need to spend.

I would keep the current CPU for a while, to see if the RAM-upgrade is a sufficient "boost".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI.

Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.
  • AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)
  • AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)
  • AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core)
  • AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)
  • AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
  • AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
  • AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
  • AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6700-Desktop-PC-series/5035348/model/5054168/docume...

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
HP Recommended

> Would like to upgrade processor to max for that model ... retired on fixed income ...

When you use the Windows "Task Manager" or "Process Manager", does it show that your current CPU is maxed-out?

Compare paying for a CPU upgrade to buying a Ferrari to shuttle the grandchildren to school -- it's money that you don't need to spend.

I would keep the current CPU for a while, to see if the RAM-upgrade is a sufficient "boost".

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, will do  as suggested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.