Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop PC Series 750-624
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Seagate 4TB external USB backup drive only works with USB 3 ports in the back of the computer, not on the top of the computer.

Looks like ports on top of the computer detected USB device, but did not have sufficient power to spin up the drive. (They work with devices that do not draw power from the USB port.)

Is  this expected? I could not find any specification of the USB ports on the computer.  

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

That is strange.

I have used HP PCs that can power an external backup drive or a flash drive using the front USB 3.0 ports.

Have you tried any other external USB devices using the top USB 3.0 ports?

The top USB 3.0 ports should be able to power external USB devices.

Any problems in Device Manager?

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.