Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline 400-314 Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Request help with finding the correct parts to be able to upgrade this computer (Pavilion Slimline 400-314 Tower) to either USB-A(3.0) or USB-C.  Either an expansion card or a replacement part.  Need USB 3.0 or higher to be able to use a docking station for dual hosts with dual monitors.  Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't see any way to add USB 3.0 to your PC.

The motherboard lacks PCIe expansion slots.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you @Grzwacz.  That kind of stinks.  Sounds like a new desktop, lol.  I guess I will have to come up with a different configuration plan.  And there is nothing that can upgrade the current USB 2.0 to USB 3.0?

HP Recommended

HI @cowboybizz ,

You're very welcome.

Sorry, but it would not be possible to upgrade USB 2.0 ports or motherboard headers to USB 3.0.

Regards

HP Recommended

Good Morning @Grzwacz,

I noticed the motherboard has two 11-pin USB connectors on the motherboard.  One goes to the front USB ports.  Since 9-pins are typical for USB-2.0, are all 11-pins used.  There are 9-pin splitters made that can be converted to USB-3.0 with small modules RGEEK 9pin USB Header Male 1 to 2 Female Extension Cable Card Motherboard 9-Pin USB HUB USB 2.0 9 pi....  Then this is connected to one of the ports on the multiplier:  LINKUP - USB 2.0 Female to USB 3.0 Male 20 Pin IDC Motherboard Header Active Compatible Converter Compatible with LINKUP Type C USB-C Chipset and Panel Mount.  The that can be connected to this:     LINKUP - USB 3.0 (3.1 Gen 2) Internal IDC 20 Pin Motherboard Header to A-Key 20 Pin Female Header [[....  then the following is used to convert to the USB-C connector:  LINKUP - USB-C Type Panel Cable Mount Motherboard Header Extension Adapter | Internal 3.1 10G Gen 2 ...  

Or:  Can I use:  USB 2.0 11 Pin Female to USB 3.0 19 Pin Male Motherboard Adapter Cable Then split the 3.0 into to and then downgrade one side back to the 2.0 front USB ports and then use the other side (3.0) to go to the USB-C?

Thank you very much for your assistance,

I greatly appreciate it!

Neil

HP Recommended

Hi Neil,

You're very welcome.

I don't see any way to get USB 3.0 speed (if this is what you need) on your motherboard. Various USB adapters will allow you to use USB devices requiring a specific connector but you will still have a data transfer rate bottleneck because the MB only supports USB 2.0.

Regards

HP Recommended
Spoiler
Hello again!  I greatly appreciate all your answers.  My ultimate goal is to be able to use the current HP Pavilion to be able to use it as one host to a Docking Station.  A laptop will be the other host.  And be able to go to two monitors.  And use one KB & mouse.  If USB 2.0 can do that, I just need a docking station to be able to do that.  If USB 2.0 is not capable, then I just need to know that.

Thank you again!

Neil
HP Recommended

Hello again!  I greatly appreciate all your answers.  My ultimate goal is to be able to use the current HP Pavilion to be able to use it as one host to a Docking Station.  A laptop will be the other host.  And be able to go to two monitors.  And use one KB & mouse.  If USB 2.0 can do that, I just need a docking station to be able to do that.  If USB 2.0 is not capable, then I just need to know that.

Thank you again!

Neil

HP Recommended

Hi Neil,

You're very welcome again.

I have never tried this. Maybe it will work using USB 2.0.

But USB 2.0 is limited to 480 Mbit/s. 

Maybe a different forum member has tried this and can provide some guidance.

Regards

HP Recommended

Again Thank You!

One last question.  I most likely will be buying a new HP Desktop.  Are there any HP Desktops Slimline Pavilions available that are compatible with the hard drive from the HP Slimline-400-300(314)-desktop-pc-series?  That way I can just buy a new Desktop without a hard drive and then just swap my hard drive(s)?

Thank you,

Neil

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.