Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. 

None of my USB ports will recognize any peripheral devices. It will charge a phone, but not ask me for files. It will not recognize a mouse (have tried several that are  working fine on any other computer). Same with the keyboard. When I trigger the automatic repair boot, I cannot get past the repair page that asks for a restart or advanced because I cannot "click" on either choice. I cannot unlock Windows as it is pin protected. I do NOT have the ability to enter ANY information into the computer to access any setting.  Is this a brick now? or any other ideas? I only have USB ports, a VGA port, DVI port, and one ethernet port. NO hdmi or PS/2 port for the mouse. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I think that the only way to "unbrick" your computer is to replace the motherboard.

Is the original HP Warranty for the computer still valid? If so, contact HP to get it repaired.

Hopefully, the disk-drive can be physically removed, to let you copy all your personal files.

When you power-on your computer, does pressing some key get you into the "setup" screen? F1? F2? F12? Enter? Tab? Delete? In that mode, does your keyboard work, before loading Windows?

HP Recommended

None of the keys will respond in any way. I wish there was a way to confirm it was the motherboard or not. I am assuming that financially it would not make sense to replace the motherboard as opposed to getting a new desktop. It's not a very expensive desktop. My son  built his own desktop   So there's hope that I can maybe have him copy the drive so I can at least get the information off of this desktop. It is also of course out of warranty.

HP Recommended

I am assuming that financially it would not make sense to replace the motherboard as opposed to getting a new desktop.

Probably true. HP keeps extra motherboards in their warehouse, for customers who "absolutely need" to replace a motherboard. Think about the computers in hospitals that control medical devices, such as a PET scanner. The hardware and software are certified to operate the scanner; one does not "willy-nilly" change the hardware nor the software, and then run the scanner on a patient.  Warehousing costs money, and it is reflected in what HP charges for the "spare".

HP Recommended

When you plug in a keyboard, and restart the computer does the number lock light come on?

Have you tried booting with it with a keyboard plugged into the back USB2 sockets ( the ones underneath the Ethernet socket ) ? and do you see a bios screen?

I very much doubt that its the motherboard since there is separate ( Multiple) controllers  for USB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.