Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 595-P0049

I want to upgrade my power supply so that I can add a video card.

The problem is that one of the atx connectors seems to be proprietary to HP, and is a 7 pin connector with 3 wires (I'm assuming +5V, +12V, and a ground).

I have a Deep Cool DA700 that would be more than enough to power everything, but I've never seen a 7 pin connector like the one on the HP motherboard/power supply.

The video card is a Radeon rx570 which also needs an 8 pin (PCI-E 6+2, that is), which obviously the PSU on the HP doesn't have, nor could it really power it.

Any suggestions on how I could add the video card?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

The latest batch of HP PCs are using proprietary PSUs and motherboards. Retail PSUs cannot be installed in the latest HP PCs.

The HP Parts Store (link) only shows a 180 watt PSU purchase option for your PC. Enter your PC's product number to check for replacement parts.

The HP 795 series PCs have a 500 watt PSU option available at purchase.

Check this 795 product (link) for hardware details. 

The above 795 PC is not yet listed at the HP Parts Store. Once it is listed you can, hopefully, purchase the 500 watt PSU.

Another PSU upgrade option available is to find a different 795 series HP product with a larger PSU so you can purchase the 500 watt PSU product number at the HP Parts Store. Check PSU dimensions (a 500 HP PSU may not fit in your PC's chassis) and verify this 500 watt PSU has the necessary combo six/eight pin PCIe connector.

Another forum member may be able to provide a different 795 PC product number that is now available at the HP Parts Store.

Regards

HP Recommended

LINCS MB.JPG

@TylerRyan,

Where is this 7 pin connector with 3 wires?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
I will have to double check when I get home tomorrow, but on the motherboard it's the white connector bottom centre on that picture.

I may buy an adapter for my power supply, to cut and attach to the connector coming from the up power supply, otherwise it would like involve me getting a new mobo... which likely wouldn't support the hp ram or ssd, or even the case even if I get a mATX because the hp mobo also has the weird design front panel.

Perhaps this is a lesson learned.
HP Recommended

Did you find an adapter?  I'm really curious if one exists.  Sooner or later, a lot of people will be frustrated when they find out the can't upgrate or replace a CPU because of the proprietary connection ( sucha as....sorry, we don't carry that part anyomore).  I was fortunate to track down a 310w PSU from HP Parts Store that connected to my motherboard and fit in the case.

HP Recommended

this is a low cost small mini tower system, it was not designed to have the same expandability as full sized tower systems

as such it comes with a custom 180 watt supply that can  be upgraded but only to a 310 watt unit, and the motherboard is also a custom non ATX design

what is telling, is that HP offers/lists no addin video cards for this model with the 180 watt supply  which shows it was not designed for a video card upgrade,.. you will have to aquire a diffrent system that accepts video card upgrades in order to use your radeon video card

Update: HP does appear to offer a model that has a 310 watt supply,

and specs a addin video card, (but your radeon is still a no go)

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06055246

https://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c05996519

it might be possible to modify a adapter for another HP system to work with your system, but it will require knowing which pins on your current supply have which voltages and match them with the  adapter listed below 

https://www.amazon.com/24pin-Motherboard-2-port-adapter-supply/dp/B0759MCCW7 

HP Recommended

It's similar to my 595-p0084, which came with a 180w PSU, similar chasis, and same motheboard.  I upgraded to a 310w PSU (part L03980-800) and put in a 1050 TI.  It's just ridiculous to put a PCI-e (16x) with the expectations that the add-on that would not max out the original 180w PSU.  My last HP from 2016, same size chasis, came with a normal PSU and motherboard connection.  It was damaged by the moving company, so I took the money to replace it with a similar HP to find the surprising PSU motherboard connection.

HP Recommended

Hello did you ever find an adapter or a solution for upgrading the power supply? I would also like to upgrade mine and ran into the same proprietary connector issue on my sunflower 8433 motherboard 

@jayjay8382 wrote:

It's similar to my 595-p0084, which came with a 180w PSU, similar chasis, and same motheboard.  I upgraded to a 310w PSU (part L03980-800) and put in a 1050 TI.  It's just ridiculous to put a PCI-e (16x) with the expectations that the add-on that would not max out the original 180w PSU.  My last HP from 2016, same size chasis, came with a normal PSU and motherboard connection.  It was damaged by the moving company, so I took the money to replace it with a similar HP to find the surprising PSU motherboard connection.

HP Recommended

It's not just the smaller inexpensive HP systems. Even the upper price range towers come with propietary PSU, motherboards...etc. It really is a shame to save a few bucks they produce a PC that is virtually impossible to upgrade or expand upon. There are some ATX 24pin to the HP Mobo pins\plugs adapters out there but they are not perfect. They then create an issue with the power supply power\alarm not being recognized. It then creates another hurdle to be jumped.

'Just a person trying to dodge the cow pies of life'
HP Recommended

Hey everyone, 

Has anyone found a solution to this as I have recently just purchased this...https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/desktops/hp/hp-90-0068a-1tb-ryzen-3-desktop-tower/380160...

Of course when I go have a look and think about upgrading I also have the 7pin neusance of a conection! 

So stupid!

What's my options new motherboard, modify PSU connections? 

Thanks in advance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.