Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 870-230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Per specs and visual inspection, board has 4 DDR4 slots and can accommodate dual-channel.  There are two blue slots and two black slots, the four slots being divided into two pairs consisting of one blue and one black slot.  As purchased, one 8 GB DIMM (DDR4 2133) is installed in a black slot.  In I get a second DDR4 2133 DIMM, what installation options do I have?  Seems like black is one channel and blue the other?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are correct.

If you only have one memory chip in the black slot, get one of the same capacity (8 GB) and install it in the other black slot.

Also note that your PC should use DDR4-2400 memory.

DDR4-2133 memory is slowing it down.

The Intel 7th gen core processors are designed to run the memory at 2400 MHz.

HP Recommended

Appreciate your reply.  Is this upgrade a simple plug and play, the system automatically recognizing it, or does something else have to be updated/configured?  Thanks, again, for the help.

HP Recommended

Hello
@TMKinSD  You have several options
The two modules are identical, same brand, characteristics!
no problem, you install the module and nothing to do the computer restarts

The modules are different, they are not compatible with each other, the computer does not restart, a bios update can sometimes solve this problem

The modules are different, the dual channel does not work, the frequency aligns with the lowest!
in general no choice, you have to replace a module, to have the same two

if the good one :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741162/document/c05378050

• Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC4-17000 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2133

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 DIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    note:
    HP has tested a maximum of 32 GB on this system and does not recommend maximum memory beyond the 32 GB amount.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Installing memory is plug and play.

If it is compatible, it will work.  If not, it won't.

I take the guesswork out of buying memory by normally getting the memory I need from Crucial as they guarantee compatibilty.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp omen 870 series | OMEN 870-230 | Crucial.com

If you are looking to install another 8 GB chip, this is the one I recommend.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM | CT8G4DFS824A | Crucial.com

As I posted yesterday, it is a shame that HP installed a 2133 MHz chip in your PC because that is going to cause even the faster memory to run at the slower speed of 2133 MHz.

But you may as well get the right speed memory.

I have a Dell PC with the same processor as your PC, and I installed 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2400 memory in mine.

Works great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.