Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop M01-F1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install a GPU in my HP Desktop M01-F1xxx but I know I need to upgrade the PSU. Should I focus on an HP PSU or can I obtain a SFF sized one from another manufacturer? What PSUs have you had success with? I was thinking around a 500 watt, at least gold or platinum. Modularity isn't a necessity either way.

My other question is, those of you who have added a GPU to this machine, how is cooling once you add a GPU? Should I anticipate replacing or adding an additional fan as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @duodave!

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  I don't have any information on the Erica5 motherboard as to which PSU's are compatible.  HP does have a 500W PSU (L05757-800) that is compatible with the Erica.  I suggest that you contact HP Customer Support to see if they can tell you if this PSU is compatible with your motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@duodave , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

The product number is 1J7K2AA#ABA. But I believe an OEM selling on Amazon Marketplace upgraded the RAM to 32 GB, put in a 1TB SSD, and a 2 TB hard disk. So I am not certain the stats on HPs site will match exactly.

Regards,

Dave

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @duodave!

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  I don't have any information on the Erica5 motherboard as to which PSU's are compatible.  HP does have a 500W PSU (L05757-800) that is compatible with the Erica.  I suggest that you contact HP Customer Support to see if they can tell you if this PSU is compatible with your motherboard.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Well, I am glad I learned of this, because my other option was to actually buy a case and new motherboard and scavange the RAM, storage and CPU out of the HP. So now since I am forced to use a specific PSU, I have a reason to make this exact choice.

HP Recommended

Installing the HP 500W power supply was a success. Only oddity was it's super tight tolerances, it's nearly as large as the case (width). Second, it seems to lack an actual power switch, as most power supplies seem to have one. I thought that was an odd design choice. Oh and, oddly the location of the power outlet connector and the fan are swapped from the previous PSU, so the power cord is literally against the computer case lip on the back. Incredibly close tolerance there. I'm not sure why they did that. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update, @duodave!

HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications and use them in many different models.  While the power connectors may be the same, this doesn't mean that they will be fully compatible with the other components, such as, the case.  I am glad that it worked for you.

HP Recommended

Since installing the L05757-800 in my HP, I've had three event ID 41 Kernel-power critical errors in the space of less than 2 days. Does this mean my new PSU could be faulty?

HP Recommended

@duodave, not necessarily.  The first thing that I would do is check all of the connections to assure they are correct.  Here is an Advanced guide that may help you determine why you are getting the error message: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

HP Recommended

There's only three connectors from the PSU to the motherboard, two 4-pin molex and one somewhat long and thin, I think its 6 or 8 pins. The 4-pin connectors are a long cable and a short cable, the short cable is too short to stretch all the way across the motherboard. So those can't be easily confused. That long connector, again there was only one from the PSU and it was on a very short cable. And like I said, the machine boots up, which makes me wonder why it's getting this intermittent error. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.