Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Blu-ray Burner BU40N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased the BU40N on ebay to upgrade the drive in my new desktop.  It installed fine but it's extremely slow (for both read and write speeds).  It was suggested that I upgrade the firmware but I can't find the firmware on any HP page.  Any advice?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-BU40N-S05JH-UHD-6X-BLU-RAY-DVD-WRITER-9-5MM-OPTICAL-DISK-DRIVE-762434-80...

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@CJLENTI , welcome to the forum.

I have thoroughly searched the HP website for your drive.  There is nothing available.  I suggest that you use the Serial Number and search HP Partsurfer to see if it gives you any information.  Please don't furnish your Serial Number.  Let me know if this gives you any helpful information.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@CJLENTI,

The complete specifications can be found here

You did not specify the R/W of what media?  It varies with BR, DVD, and CD-R.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Wb2001...that is an LG.  Mine is an HP.  I've tried using that firmware and it says that the drive is not detected.

Please see the original link.

HP Part Number: 762434-800
HP Spare Part Number: 781417-001

HP Recommended

@CJLENTI,

I did hesitate to offer this firmware, but as you tried the LG, it must be more specific than the HP version.  Look at this Z640 hardware driver section.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Wb2001 - I don't see any hardware section for that release.

HP Recommended

@CJLENTI,

It is under firmware.  It only purports BR compability.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I also got one HP's LG BU40N with firmware BW40.

It can't play 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray even the LG BU40N model is on the 4K UHD BD playback compatible list.

I know 4K UHD BD's playback requirement & I have already had several Pioneer and LG drives played 4K UHD BD successfully.

The requirements:

- Intel 7th+ Gen CPU with HD630/UHD630/Iris 640+ iGPU

- 100-300 series motherboard with BIOS SGX option and HDMI 2.0 port / DP 1.2a & DP-HDMI2.0 converter

- HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 supported 4K Monitor / TV

- 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback certified drive (LG BU40N is one of them)

- PowerDVD 14 OEM (bundled with Pioneer and LG 4K UHD BD playback certified drives) or 17+ retail version

- Windows 10 & 6GB+ RAM

I'll try to update it with the firmware BW42 from this thread.

If it still fails, I'll remind everyone who want a 4K UHD BD playable drive to not to buy HP specified LG BU40N.

HP Recommended

Are you able to get the 4K UHD BD playback with the new firmware? I'm planning on to buy a new one on ebay. I appreciate your feedback.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.