Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 690-0028b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please help trying to upgrade my son's gpu in his hp pavilion 690-0928b desktop . Shows it has rx 550 . What other gpu will work . Here are the specs. 

Screenshot_20200624-121651.png

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think your upgrade potential here is really limited by the stock 310W power supply. The best GPU that will work with your system is a LOW PROFILE (!!!!) GTX 1650. The reason I specifically say LOW PROFILE is because those are the GTX 1650 models which do not require external power. The models that require external power usually require a better power supply.

A GTX 1650 is going to perform 4 times as fast as an RX 550 and it will cost you around $150 dollars. It will be a great upgrade for your system.

I hope this helped.

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply. If I upgraded  the power supply to a 400 . What other options do I have . How do I know if it needs external power supply? 

HP Recommended

If you upgrade the power supply to 400 watts, it is mostly useless unless you have a unit with a 6+2 PCIe connector. The 6+2 PCIe connector provides external power for higher end graphics cards. If you have a 6+2 PCIe connector, then your options expand to a GTX 1660 and a GTX 1660 Ti, both of which are far more powerful than the GTX 1650.

If you buy a higher end GPU, it will usually have a socket for a 6+2 (or 6+0) PCIe connector.

Also, make sure you get a HP replacement as HP recently started using proprietary power supplies in their systems.

This is what a 6+2 PCIe connector looks like:  https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTieOellh9-GK-75Sj3N6SniLFKV5axTRm8Hw&usqp=CA...

HP Recommended

@Brichards024,

This spreadsheet explains the power supplies (which are an HP proprietary design) that will work with your computer. The grid reflects research of various PSU and GPU cards.  The 400W and 500W have a PCIe 6+2 power plug. This video shows how to upgrade the PSU. As there are variations in card lengths, always measure.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you for all the help. Do you happen to have a part number so I get the right power supply please 

HP Recommended

@Brichards024 

It is listed at the top of the spreadsheet. Expect a 2 month wait.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Parts-Store-estimated-to-tak...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Well I went and bought a GTX 1650 super low profile. Put it in and it works but  says 350 minimum power supply. And  my son says it's not to much better then the rx550  I took out.    Is it because the power supply?  Or does it need more memory ?  I had to connect the 6 pin connector to the GTX 1650 super for it to work. It was just sitting there and plugged right in.  

HP Recommended

I think your son isn't noticing the difference. A GTX 1650 is at least 4 times more powerful than a RX 550. Your CPU is certainly not a bottleneck, and you seem to have enough RAM. Your son probably plays very light games that are not very GPU intensive,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.