cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Upgrade motherboard MCP61 PM-HM Iris and Grphics Card

HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR5510F
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Think I fried my motherboard or chip; Athlon 64x2 Dual 4800+.  Upgraded to win 7 but system crashes frequently.  My hobby is toying around with this machine.  Any advice for upgrading the  motherboard?  Memeory upgrade to 4 MB also did not improve performance.  Running performance test induces reboot one I get into memeory and BIOS.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,228 10,224 962 2,813
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On a PC that old, I would start with testing various components.  Memtest is very reliable to weed out bad memory.  In order to get good testing routines, I like Ultimate Boot CD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Make the bootable testing CD and then boot this problem PC to that disk.  Assuming that the problem PC can boot OK, run the Memtest on just the memory that was in the PC.  If all that passes without error - use several times through, then reboot with the additional memory.

Next use a CPU testing routine.  If you have not found a bad component by then, try some of the other routines.

If it gets forced into a reboot using those tests, and it has not been identified, then make sure there is nothing installed  but the CPU and memory.  There is integrated graphics, so an additional video card is not needed for testing.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation