Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
870-135vx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop pc 870-135vx came with a 256gb ssd and a 2tb HDD. I'd like to upgrade the ssd to a 2tb nvme m.2 and was wondering if that is possible and how difficult it would be. I have already added a crucial ssd in the past, but that was just for data. This time I would like to move the os to the nvme. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your desktop PC's motherboard is not compatible with an M.2 PCIe NVME SSD!

The compatible SSD products are M.2/NGFF (2280) Single Sided 3D-NAND SATA3

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/omen-870-135vx

Unless you have the new SSD in an enclosure you can't clone the boot disk SSD from the original 256 GB unit to the new one.

If you just want to install the new M.2 SSD and install Windows 10 to it from an HP Cloud Recovery USB flash drive, that can be done as well.

The downside  of doing the install that way would be that you would have to reinstall everything that was on the original 256 GB M.2 SSD to the new M.2 SSD because all of the virtual links to programs and data would be no longer working.  

The upside is that it is cheaper and less time consuming to do a clean install from an installation USB flash drive.

I hope that adds a bit of clarity to the desired upgrade you want to do.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Lisannk2,

You have the correct theory. See here.

@banhien  already discussed it, and mentioned what you need and the procedures.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. This doesn't look to be the same situation as mine. Why would I need an enclosure for cloning the nvme when I have a spot for it without removing anything from the case? I just need to know the correct procedure when the pc already contains both an ssd as well as a HDD. The os is on the 256gb ssd.

So I'm wondering if I should just pop the nvme into the correct slot in the case and boot normally. From there, use whatever cloning software...have no idea if that will be a pretty simple and automated process. Then will I have to do anything specific to get the pc to boot from the new nvme? I'm assuming I could just leave the old ssd in place. There's nothing wrong with it and it's not using a slot I need. 

HP Recommended

Your desktop PC's motherboard is not compatible with an M.2 PCIe NVME SSD!

The compatible SSD products are M.2/NGFF (2280) Single Sided 3D-NAND SATA3

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/omen-870-135vx

Unless you have the new SSD in an enclosure you can't clone the boot disk SSD from the original 256 GB unit to the new one.

If you just want to install the new M.2 SSD and install Windows 10 to it from an HP Cloud Recovery USB flash drive, that can be done as well.

The downside  of doing the install that way would be that you would have to reinstall everything that was on the original 256 GB M.2 SSD to the new M.2 SSD because all of the virtual links to programs and data would be no longer working.  

The upside is that it is cheaper and less time consuming to do a clean install from an installation USB flash drive.

I hope that adds a bit of clarity to the desired upgrade you want to do.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

OK thank you. Now assuming I accomplish this and everything works as intended, what if at some point I decide to do a system recovery to start fresh... Will the system recognize the new m.2 ssd as the original? Or would I have to format a different way? 

HP Recommended

By system recovery, do you mean with the Cloud recovery flash drive?

If you do, the answer is yes.

You could also use HP produced recovery media to perform a recovery. If you don;t have it you could order it from the link at the following HP web document.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/OMEN-by-HP-870-100-Desktop-PC-series/12079703/model...

HP Recommended

I mean recovery from the control panel ...factory reset is it called?

HP Recommended

If you remove the current SSD from the PC you have removed the link to the HP Recovery Manager and iit won't work.

The Recovery partition actually resides on the SSD.

So if you have not already used the HP Recovery Manager to create a USB Recovery Flash drive, you should do it before removing the 256 GB SSD.

HP Recommended

Somehow I didn't see the top part of your reply regarding compatibility.

I was thinking of using this as my os drive

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZXR1B/?coliid=I24HFF3U2BPXS2&colid=5IKUS8W6N5LG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_...

Is that possible with my system?

HP Recommended

@Lisannk2 wrote:

Somehow I didn't see the top part of your reply regarding compatibility.

I was thinking of using this as my os drive

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZXR1B/?coliid=I24HFF3U2BPXS2&colid=5IKUS8W6N5LG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_...

Is that possible with my system?

No.

An M.2 NVMe SSD is not compatible with your desktop PC.

Take a look at the link I provided for guaranteed compatible M.2 SSD products/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.