Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6530f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This HP desktop is still running Vista Home Premium 64bit and I wanted to finally upgrade to Windows 10.  I've seen some conflicting information about whether it is necessary to upgrade first to Windows 7, then to 10.  Also, I'm uncertain about other hardware compatibility such as the on-board NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics adapter.  I think I saw something about the Windows 8 driver being the last available, but that it works with Windows 10.  Finally, my system has 4 GB RAM and it sounds like Microsoft recommends at least 6 GB, so I may have to swap out the first of the 4  1GB memory cards to a larger one to boost the RAM.  I realize I must do a clean install of Windows 10, which will require backing up all my user files and making sure I have installation disks or download capability for existing software programs, then wipe the disk where Windows Vista resides.  Any other things I should be aware of before trying to upgrade?  This computer is working well, just the issue that Vista is no longer supported.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is a recent discussion on a very similar model to yours...

Solved: Re: Hp Pav a6330f - HP Support Community - 7912406

W10 should work, but unless you have an available W10 product key that you don't have to pay for, investing no less than $120 for a W10 Home license would not be a wise investment.

You could buy a better used PC off eBay that has W7 on it for $120, and upgrade to W10 for free.

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Or you can just buy one that already had been upgraded to W10, such as this model...I have the HP 6200 Pro, and am very happy with it.   it originally came from HP with W7.

HP Compaq Pro 6200 MT i5-2400 3.10Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HDD Win 10 Pro Microtower | eBay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.