Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6300 Pro SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I carefully swapped out the CPU and believe I cleared the CMOS before power cycling but I've obviusly missed a step here. All I've got plugged in are mouse, keyboard, network power and monitor. Although the monitor is via an add on card with HDMI I'm wondering if I should break out the VGA cable and old monitor.

I do get 5 beeps when I power this thing on. Not sure my BIOS is as updated as it could be. What did I miss here?

Thank you for your help!

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@alexcoluzzi32 , welcome back to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer.  In Chapter 7, Removal and Replacement Procedures Small Form Factor (SFF) Chassis, Pages 132-134, it lists the compatible processors (which yours is one) and gives step by step instructions on how to replace the processor.  The only thing that I would add is, assure that you have the proper amount of thermal paste/compound on the processor before installing the heatsink.  Normally, a dab about the size of a pea.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@alexcoluzzi32 , welcome back to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer.  In Chapter 7, Removal and Replacement Procedures Small Form Factor (SFF) Chassis, Pages 132-134, it lists the compatible processors (which yours is one) and gives step by step instructions on how to replace the processor.  The only thing that I would add is, assure that you have the proper amount of thermal paste/compound on the processor before installing the heatsink.  Normally, a dab about the size of a pea.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

My problem is I was missing not one but two BIOS updates which supplied the current microcode needed to run the i7 chip in the 6300 SFF motherboard. Once I'd addressed that teeny tiny little issue I popped the new CPU in and its been performance city ever since.

HP Recommended

Good for you, @alexcoluzzi32 !!  I am glad that you solved your own problem.  You just learned a valuable lesson.  HP Techs are not telling owners to update their BIOS when a new version is released just to see it in print.  There is normally a very good reason, since component manufacturers are upgrading their products like we change clothing.  It gets very difficult for HP to keep up.

Enjoy you new found speed! :Wink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.