Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-000 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day everyone,  I recently upgraded to a Samsung 850 Pro SSd to be my primary drive on my HP Desktop 550-009.  All worked well with cloning but I did have to skinny down due to my use of the hard drive.  I know want to make my hard drive my data disk.

BUT, whenever I have my old hard drive connected to the system, it will always boot from it regardless of what I seem to do.  I have set the boot order in the BIOS, the SSD does boot and perform well if I do not connect the old hdd, and I swapped the Sata conenctions thinking that may have something to do with it.

Also, when it does boot from the hdd, Windows does not recognize the SSD, but the BIOS does.

Any assisatnce would be appreciated!

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

This may help you.

Tap "ESC" at boot before Windows loads.

Select "Boot Menu"

Select the SSD under UEFI Boot Sources.

You should now boot to the SSD.

Search for "diskmgmt.msc" using Cortana.

Select the old HDD in Disk Management and delete the Windows volume. The delete volume option will be grayed out if you select the SSD volume.

The small reserved system volumes usually cannot be deleted. You would have to use a third party disk management software to clean the entire HDD. There are quite a few free disk management options if you Google it.

Did you make HP OS Factory Recovery media for your PC? You might want to do this using the factory HDD as the boot drive before you remove all volumes on the HDD.

Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

This may help you.

Tap "ESC" at boot before Windows loads.

Select "Boot Menu"

Select the SSD under UEFI Boot Sources.

You should now boot to the SSD.

Search for "diskmgmt.msc" using Cortana.

Select the old HDD in Disk Management and delete the Windows volume. The delete volume option will be grayed out if you select the SSD volume.

The small reserved system volumes usually cannot be deleted. You would have to use a third party disk management software to clean the entire HDD. There are quite a few free disk management options if you Google it.

Did you make HP OS Factory Recovery media for your PC? You might want to do this using the factory HDD as the boot drive before you remove all volumes on the HDD.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks Tom!!  That did the trick, partially, and good tip on the restoration!

Now both drives are connected, booting from the ssd, but windows sees the old hdd, but has an error \Disk&Ven_TOSHIBA&Prod_DT01ACA100\4&2f202cce&0&010000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Any thoughts on that?

HP Recommended

Hi KeninSK

I have never seen that error message before.

Where is the error message occurring?

Did you delete volumes, create a new volume, and then do a quick NTFS format of the HDD free space in Disk Management?

I use Mini Partition Wizard free edition to recover the small system volumes which Disk Management cannot remove.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.