Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen by hp obelisk desktop 875-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System  came with  I 16gb gddr4 2666mhz  the motherboard  has two  memory  slots I upgrading  to two 16gb gddr4 3200mhz  rgb sticks. Is this safe for the system because  now when I check the general specifications  show system  memory  now at 32gb instead  of the 16gb that is showed with the original general  specifications  before I upgraded. So now it shows  32gb but only at 2666mhz not at the 3200mhz which is the speed  of the new 16gb gddr4 ram that I used for the upgrade. Does this mean my motherboard  memory  slots are only capable  of 2666mhz speed even though there are 3200mhz speed 16gb gddr4 cards inserted in the memory  slots. If that is the case will the two 16gb 3200mhz hurt anything  in the system  or motherboard because  so far I have had no problem memory system  is running  smoothly  with no crashes at anytime  at least not yet. So I want to know does it matters  that I have 3200mhz gddr4 memory  speed and if over time it will cause an issue. Thank s for the time and help to any one that could possibly  provide me help understandiny  and knowing that if my new prebuilt pc rig will be ok with this new ram setup. Once  again any help is greatly appreciated I'm not that educated  yet with pc gaming rig just  starting  to learn and do not want to mess anything  up thanks again and I hope for some helpful informed  help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'm not sure what speed RAM the motherboard is capable of supporting, but no, the faster ram will not hurt anything if it's running slower, aside from you wallet. haha.

The ram is 'backwards compatible' which means it will work fine in a slower specc'd board, but you'll obviously not gain the speed advantage of what it was intended for.

HP Recommended

Hello
to be fixed you would need the product number of the pc
It is possible that it is this model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06330185
it is therefore indicated:

• Amount: 16 GB
  • Speed: PC4-21300 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2666
  • Dual channel (1 DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers.
    note:
    Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

The motherboard is not able to manage this speed, so  it can work, but at the supported speed!

Nothing to solve this

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.