Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-000a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a complete novice to upgrading computers, but I would like for my computer to handle the demands of games that will be coming out for the next few years at least. 

I have been told that my current graphics card is "low-profile", and that there should be no reason for that. Is there? Im getting swamped trying to learn all I can before I commit to buying an upgraded part. 

In case its required, my specs are: 

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: 500-000a
BIOS: 8.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8148MB RAM

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 8570

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi But3rf1y,

The only way to see if a low profile graphics card is the limiting factor is to remove the PC's side panel and have a look inside.

Your PC shipped with Windows 8 with a BIOS version 8.15 which means you have a UEFI BIOS. This BIOS version will support current graphics cards such as Nvidia 700, 900, and 1000 series cards.

You will have to take some measurments:

1. Prospective graphics card length and available length in your PC..

2. Replacement power supply length. You have a 300 watt power supply. This will have to be replaced. The new PS will have the necessary six and eight pin supplemental connections needed for the new graphics card.

High end graphics cards are usually dual slot. So you have to make sure you can install a dual slot card by being able to remove an adjacent backplate. 

Be aware the current CPU and RAM installed in your PC may be limiting factors when running more demanding games.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.