Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy h8-1440eo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently decided to slightly upgrade my old HP Envy h8-1440eo computer and found that the GPU is most likely the bottlenecking component. Since the computer is a bit old im not sure if all newer GPUs are compatible anymore and wanted to know what GPUs or other products i could use to increase the performance of my computer.

Thank you in advance

The computer:

https://support.hp.com/fi-fi/product/hp-envy-h8-1400-desktop-pc-series/5295996/model/5328233/documen...

the motherboard is a IPMMB-FM (Formosa) and the current GPU is a Nvidia Geforce GT 640:

https://www.compeve.com/video-cards/pci-express/nvidia-geforce-gt640-tesla4-fh-3gb-ddr3-hp-695596-00...

although the same product name seems to also bring up seemingly unrelated GPUs

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@PK_2 , welcome to the Community.

The main problem that you may have is the BIOS.  The newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  You can check to assure if you have UEFI by looking at the System Information under the BIOS Mode section.  If not, the last series not to require UEFI are the GTX 660/670's.  If it is UEFI you can use any PCI Express (3.0) x16 video card that requires 460W of power or less.  It is a very bad time to buy a video card.  The prices are extravagant.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Is this your computer: HP ENVY h8-1440eo Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

This web-page lists many possible processor upgrades, including "quad-core" processors.

While running your "intensive" programs, open the Windows "Task Manager" (CTRL-ALT-DELETE to select it) and switch to the "Performance" tab. You'll see what percentage of the processor is being used, what percentage of the RAM is being used, and how busy the disk-drive is (megabytes per second).

So, think about upgrrading from a "spinning" disk-drive to a SSD (solid-state device) to make input/output much faster.

Add more RAM, if needed.

Then, consider replacing the processor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.