Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilian p6-2000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an old Pavilian p6 2000 desktop. It finally died and I installed a new hard drive and windows 10 but it will not run. I would like to upgrade it to possibly a game computer level. The fans, case, power supply and DVD player are fine and I mentioned the new hard drive and Windows OS. What can I do to improve it? What mother board, processor, video card and ram will work together? Will the wiring harness work with the new parts? The mother board is a AAHD2-HY, but it will need to be replaced with something that will bolt into the case to add more ram and a faster processor, possibly an i7 or i9.

Can anyone give me any advice on an upgrade?

thanks!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Impaladesign!

The motherboard and other components in HP computers are made to their specifications.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider when adding a new motherboard to a HP case or moving the mobo to another case: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Moving-HP-Motherboard-to-a-new-gaming-case/ta-p/...

In both instances it is difficult to know if it will work properly.  There have been very few good examples of this working.

I will give my opinion.  I would save my money and buy a new computer.  The least expensive computer today is light-years ahead of your old computer.  The only part of the computer that you will be using is the case.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Impaladesign , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  There are several models in the P6-2000 series.

HP Recommended

The computer doesn't start so I am guessing at the information you need. There is a sticker on the case that lists this number

OP806AAR#ABA

i hope that helps;

Dan

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Impaladesign!

I believe the Product Number is QP806AA: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2000-desktop-pc-series/5151865/model/5156904/doc...

If you look at the sections titled "Processor upgrade information" and Memory upgrade information" these are the compatible upgrades.  The video slot on the motherboard is PCI Express 2.0 x16.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to tell you what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

You can upgrade the power supply unit (PSU) to any standard ATX version.  Just measure the current PSU to assure the one that you choose will fit into the space provided.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you! That is good information but it doesn't upgrade the computer as much as I would like. I would like to start with a better mother board but am not sure what motherboard will fit into the case. What mother board will bolt into the case and allow a better processor, at least an i5, and at least 32 GB of ram?

Thanks,

Dan

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Impaladesign!

The motherboard and other components in HP computers are made to their specifications.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider when adding a new motherboard to a HP case or moving the mobo to another case: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Moving-HP-Motherboard-to-a-new-gaming-case/ta-p/...

In both instances it is difficult to know if it will work properly.  There have been very few good examples of this working.

I will give my opinion.  I would save my money and buy a new computer.  The least expensive computer today is light-years ahead of your old computer.  The only part of the computer that you will be using is the case.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice, I think you are right, I will be checking out tigerDirect

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.