Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590-P0086
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anyone describe what type of M.2 SSD compatible with HP 590-P0086 desktop, and the procedure to upgrade.?

I assume, Optane drive is not a physical HDD, right? if so, if I disable it, all data will be transfered to pHysical HDD which is 1TB (I assume). So, should I get a bigger M.2 SSD since my HDD is 1TB ? at the moment occupied space of the HDD is around 100 GB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi.

Macrium Reflect (disk imaging and cloning software) is free.

You can create a USB HP Recovery drive now before you make any changes to the hardware configuration. The unknown is: if this USB operating system recovery drive is only configured to work with Optane memory and a platter HDD. This HP USB recovery drive should work correctly with your PC's current configuration (one Optane module and one platter HDD).

The restoration process using the HP Recovery USB drive on a new NVME SSD (you have removed the Optane module and changed the BIOS settings to AHCI) may fail or the new SSD may not boot.

I can't say for sure because I don't use Optane and have never had to reconfigure a PC from Optane to non Optane enabled.

HP factory recovery images are usually created for specific hardware configurations. The HP factory image process may abort when a significant hardware change is made. I would classify removing Optane, installing a NVME SSD, and changing BIOS Storage boot settings as a significant hardware/microcode change.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Sbasnagala
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see you need help in upgrading the SSD, on HP Pavilion 590-P0086. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD.

To get the answer to this question, The Octane Memory" is what Intel calls their Optane powered caching SSDs. The Optane Memory Module itself is a PCIe Gen3x2 single-sided 2280 SSD.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

But my question is, if I disable Optane drive and replace it with m.2 ssd . What size of ssd do I need? I read somewhere, capacity of the ssd  has to be larger than C drive. My C drive is 1TB, but occupied  space is only 200 MB. which means should I go for 1TB ssd. This doesn't add up. Please explain.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Intel Optane is a cache drive. It is a physical SSD installed in a 2280 M.2 slot on the motherboard.

This 2280 M.2 slot on your motherboard will accept a NVME drive such as a Samsung 970 SSD which can be used as a fast, bootable, operating system drive. You can install: a 256 GB, a 512 GB or a 1 TB PCIe 3.0x4 NVME SSD.

The process to disable Optane, install a NVME drive, and copy the operating system from the existing HDD to the new NVME drive is not a simple process.

Intel Optane memory specifications, installation, uninstallation guides can be reviewed at this site (Link).

You will have to copy/clone the current HDD operating system to the new NVME SSD after you uninstall the Intel Optane UI (IRST).

I use Macrium Reflect free (Link) to copy/clone operating systems. This procedure cannot be done until you correctly remove Optane from your operating system. You have to verify you can boot to Windows after removing Optane.

Check out this site (Link) on using Macrium Reflect to clone a stable operating system installation. A working and stable operating system contained on the platter HDD (sans Optane) is the key to success. You may have to change BIOS "Storage" settings to AHCI before you clone the operating system from the HDD to the new SSD.

I don't use Optane. I have not had to do this process. Good luck. Hope you can do what you want to get done.

Cache drives don't fit with my system configuration philosophy.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks!! you are most helpful !

HP Recommended
Spoiler
My computer is new and still have win 10 OS only and not many user files in it. I want to create a recovery thumb drive made from the HP Backup and recovery app and use it to copy the OS to SSD. Can you advice me weather this method is ok to use to clone the OS to SSD, so I don't have to buy expensive cloning software.
HP Recommended

Hi.

Macrium Reflect (disk imaging and cloning software) is free.

You can create a USB HP Recovery drive now before you make any changes to the hardware configuration. The unknown is: if this USB operating system recovery drive is only configured to work with Optane memory and a platter HDD. This HP USB recovery drive should work correctly with your PC's current configuration (one Optane module and one platter HDD).

The restoration process using the HP Recovery USB drive on a new NVME SSD (you have removed the Optane module and changed the BIOS settings to AHCI) may fail or the new SSD may not boot.

I can't say for sure because I don't use Optane and have never had to reconfigure a PC from Optane to non Optane enabled.

HP factory recovery images are usually created for specific hardware configurations. The HP factory image process may abort when a significant hardware change is made. I would classify removing Optane, installing a NVME SSD, and changing BIOS Storage boot settings as a significant hardware/microcode change.

Regards

HP Recommended

hello, I have the same setup. would I be able to use

MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) M.2 PCI Express 3.1 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4) NVMe SSD (512GB (480GB)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.