Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY TE01-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like many others, I naively bought my HP with the hopes of adding a video card after purchase.  After hours and hours of research on forums, I have sadly come to the realization that this is much more difficult than I originally thought due to the the proprietary motherboard and 180W PSU (lesson learned).  I bought this purely for convenience and it was a pretty good deal for an i7 computer. Full Specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-te01-0000-desktop-pc-series/29014358/model/31046765/doc...

Based on what I have read, I only have two options at this point: 

1. Upgrade to a 310w or 400w HP PSU depending on compatibility (which still may not meet the power requirements I need for a decent graphics card)

2. Buy a new case, PSU, and motherboard that are made for gaming... and transfer my CPU, RAM, and SSD (which I don't know for sure is even is possible due to issues with HP compatibility). 

I mostly want this for enhanced video and casual gaming, but do I want good quality and high frame rate. Possibly a GeForce GTX 1650 Super if I can pull off a double slot ...but I'm a little flexible on the card itself.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am happy to report that the 400w L04618-800 is compatible with the ENVY TE01-0034 .  Only took four days to arrive. Check out the photos here of my install: https://imgur.com/a/vt0lD3Q

Being that this computer only has a 500GB SSD, which is great for windows and apps, but not for storage, I added in my 2TB HDD from my old Dell.  The wires were already there and ready to plug in... just plug and play!  https://imgur.com/a/oj3n524

On to purchasing the GeForce 1650 Super which I will provide an update on, just know it only has 8 inches of clearance, and appears to work for double slot.  In the next few days I will confirm the one I picked and that it is compatible with this PC.

View solution in original post

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@wb2001 I have seen your posts on other forums, but not for my particular model.  Do you have any insight on which PSU's are compatible with this unit?

HP Recommended

Here are some photos I snapped of the motherboard.  I apologize for the close ups, I was trying to get the connectors https://imgur.com/a/a26yNE1

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
HP Recommended

I have the same / similar question.

I don't need anything incredibly fancy, I just want to run dual 4K monitors for work/productivity applications from my TE01-0034. I'll need some sort of GPU as there's only 1 HDMI and 1 VGA supplied on this model. It has the same 180W PSU, which is where I'm running into trouble.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

HP Recommended

@superblazer,

I like your style. Very informative.  Did not have to waste time asking questions.  Looking at my spreadsheet data take note that a TE01-0020 has been verified (another post) with the GTX 1650 Super powered by the 400W supply.  In all issues with new video cards, I always recommend making a cardboard template of the length of the card, and try sticking it into the space. The link I sent to klg18 lists several GTX 1650 Super cards.

Again here is the spreadsheet, I will add your card soon.

@klg18,

Do the same research on length. Here are some GTX 1650 Super cards, 3-4 monitors. Pick your monitor connection.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response.

I’m very much a novice in this space and I’m still a bit confused as to what to do here. Doesn’t the GTX 1650 Super card still require an upgraded PSU from the standard 180W? 

HP Recommended

@klg18,

Yes, the 400W.   As the spreadsheet states, GTX 1650 Super powered by the 400W supply.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I checked with HP Support, and they confirmed on their end that the 400w L04618-800 is compatible with the ENVY TE01-0034.  I order the part through the parts store, which was $95 after tax and S/H. I will report back to confirm if this is a correct match and installs correctly when it arrives in a week or so.  

HP Recommended

@superblazer,

Hear from you when it arrives, thanks.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I am happy to report that the 400w L04618-800 is compatible with the ENVY TE01-0034 .  Only took four days to arrive. Check out the photos here of my install: https://imgur.com/a/vt0lD3Q

Being that this computer only has a 500GB SSD, which is great for windows and apps, but not for storage, I added in my 2TB HDD from my old Dell.  The wires were already there and ready to plug in... just plug and play!  https://imgur.com/a/oj3n524

On to purchasing the GeForce 1650 Super which I will provide an update on, just know it only has 8 inches of clearance, and appears to work for double slot.  In the next few days I will confirm the one I picked and that it is compatible with this PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.