19 12 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrading a SSD drive to a larger one

HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 550-200na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had asked a similar question in the past but I am looking for further information. I have a HP Pavillion 550-200na desktop computer, running Windows 10 (64-bit), which has a 128 GB SSD (C: drive) and 3 TB HDD (D: drive )installed. The SSD drive, on which the OS and programs are installed, is getting fairly full. I wish to replace it with a larger SSD drive. All my personal files are on the HDD drive. I was informed before that the motherboard only supports 2 internal hard drives, i.e. no room to install another SSD drive. Therefore what is the best way to upgrade? I prefer not to re-install the OS (don't have the media anyway) and all the programs. Could I for example do the following. Buy a larger SSD drive, install it externally in a USB 3.0 enclosure, use cloning software to copy the contents of the existing SSD to the new one, then swap the two drives over with the new one installed internally, and boot from that, and the smaller one externally in the enclosure? If this is possible what should I be aware? Also, would Windows 10 still be recognised as an activated version as the hardware would have changed? If this is not feasible any other suggestions without having to re-install everything? Thanks for any help you can give.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,094 6,079 573 1,289
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You are on the right track by buying a larger SATA SSD. I would even look at 512 GB or a 1 TB SSD.

You will not have to rebuild the new SSD from scratch (install Windows and programs) if you clone the 128 GB SSD to the new SSD.

An external SATA/USB adapter will work.

I have used Macrium Reflect free (Link) to clone drives with great success.

A tutorial on using Macrium can be reviewed at this (Link).

Regards

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
19 12 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your very speedy reply.

I'll have a look at what SSD and enclosure to buy. Do you have any suggestions?

I was also curious to see you suggested a 512GB or 1TB SDD . My HDD drive is 3TB and hardly used even though it has a lot of music, photos and videos on it. What would you suggest I could use the extra space on the SDD for? The extra space I currently envisage is space needed for future Windows 10 upgrades and possibly some other programs.

Anyway thanks again. I may get back to you again after I have done some further research.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,094 6,079 573 1,289
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi PastelArtist,

You're very welcome.

Amazon (Link) has the external USB 3.0 cable adapter you need.

I have used Sabrent and Startech USB adapters. Any of these products should get the job done.

A 256 GB SSD is fine. I usually go with 512 GB or higher SSDs for future storage needs. SSDs also need breathing space for over provisioning and house cleaning (trim).

Regards

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
19 12 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again. Didn't realise you could just use a USB3 cable adapter, thought I'd have to purchase a USB3 SSD hardrive enclosure. I'm just used to HDD drives. 

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation