Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All in One Pavilion 24-r055se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my PC to an SSD or NVME drive. 

I currently have a HDD as  well as a 16 GB Intel Optane Memory Module.

I am confused, however, by the steps needed to take because of the Optane memory module.

Can someone outline the steps to either upgrade to a SATA SSD or an NVME module on this PC?

I have done upgrades in othe computers, but not one with an Optane module, and don't want to lose data or the ability to boot because I've done something in error.

Thanks in advance.

Howard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are right to be concerned about the details. Here is an image of the motherboard:

M.2 slot circledM.2 slot circled

The first thing you want to do is get the Optane module separated in software from the hard drive. Here is a little video on how to do that. Once you have "deaccelerrated" the hard drive, I would reboot a couple times to be sure all is working right. You will likely notice longer boot times. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Here is the Upgrade manual:

Manual

This lays out the procedure for accessing the M.2 in the place on the motherboard shown above. An Optane module is just a smaller capacity (usually 16 or 32 gigs) NVME module. You will remove the existing module and replace it with a larger capacity one (250 or 500 gig range or 1 TB). I can suggest the Samsung 970 Evo which is widely available. I just bought one at Best Buy for an upgrade to an HP desktop I put in my office for one of my employees and you can also have it delivered from on amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=154180...

So you separate the Optane from the HDD in the software, and only then open the case and swap the Optane for the larger capacity NVME M.2. Once you get the new NVME M.2 in there you can do a clean new load of Windows 10 onto it, or use a recovery thumb drive made from the HP Backup and recovery app, clone the hard drive over to the NVME M.2 or use one of several other methods to get Windows running from the superfast NVME disk. We can discuss those in greater detail if necesssary if you let us know how you want to proceed. Some people want a clone and others want a clean new install or possibly even a new HP factory image. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

You are right to be concerned about the details. Here is an image of the motherboard:

M.2 slot circledM.2 slot circled

The first thing you want to do is get the Optane module separated in software from the hard drive. Here is a little video on how to do that. Once you have "deaccelerrated" the hard drive, I would reboot a couple times to be sure all is working right. You will likely notice longer boot times. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Here is the Upgrade manual:

Manual

This lays out the procedure for accessing the M.2 in the place on the motherboard shown above. An Optane module is just a smaller capacity (usually 16 or 32 gigs) NVME module. You will remove the existing module and replace it with a larger capacity one (250 or 500 gig range or 1 TB). I can suggest the Samsung 970 Evo which is widely available. I just bought one at Best Buy for an upgrade to an HP desktop I put in my office for one of my employees and you can also have it delivered from on amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=154180...

So you separate the Optane from the HDD in the software, and only then open the case and swap the Optane for the larger capacity NVME M.2. Once you get the new NVME M.2 in there you can do a clean new load of Windows 10 onto it, or use a recovery thumb drive made from the HP Backup and recovery app, clone the hard drive over to the NVME M.2 or use one of several other methods to get Windows running from the superfast NVME disk. We can discuss those in greater detail if necesssary if you let us know how you want to proceed. Some people want a clone and others want a clean new install or possibly even a new HP factory image. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your excellent help!

HP Recommended

One more question.

If I keep the HDD as a storage drive, how does the PC boot from the new NVMe drive?

Do I have to make changes in the BIOS, or does the PC boot from the NVMe drive as it did from the Optane module?

Best,

Howard

HP Recommended

Yes you might have to adjust the boot order in the BIOS. In fact it is easier to get the NVME working as the boot disk if you just remove the hard drive while you are installing Windows onto the NVME. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your prior help.

Let's say I replace the Optane module with a  Samsung1TB NVMe drive.  How do I clone the HDD to the SSD?

I've cloned before when upgrading a alptop HDD iwth a SATA SSD using a data transfer cable and Samsung;s migration software, but how would I do that with the NVMe drive?

Thanks.  (BTW, I've misplaced my recovery thumb dirve, so I can't go that route).

Howard

HP Recommended

Get Macrium Reflect Free. Install it on the laptop and use it to make a bootable usb thumb drive. Once you have the hard drive deaccelerated boot the system from Macrium with both the HDD and the M.2 in the system. Macrium should see both and allow you to clone HDD to SSD. Remove HDD before first boot get it all set up and then you can put HDD back in. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hello, I have a problem wi HP Elitebook 840 G3 that originally had optane in it. I was given a discarded company laptop and I do not have access to it in terms of loading up windows. I basically wanted to erase everything, install my own fresh windows 7. First issue was that I could not run the W7 installation via bootable usb/cd due to some drivers issue thing. After exhausting all options to fix that, I inserted a new "regular" hdd with fresh windows 7 but I get the message Boot device not recognized (3FO). Completely confused, should I remove the optane and keep hdd only, keep both, how to setup bios to boot W7 from hdd (bios recognizes hdd). Spent hours playing with bios but nothing

HP ELITE BOOK 840g3 i-56300U 2.4 Ghz

please help

HP Recommended

Macrium works great and is super easy to use.

After cloning to HDD to the new SSD, I just went into the bios and moved the new M.2 Samsung drive to be the boot drive without needing to remove the HDD.

I then re-partitioned the old drive, formatted it and use it as a data/storage drive.

I ultimately used the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD.  It has a read/write of 3400 MBS/sec!

Same price at amazon and best buy.

Computer is now SUPER FAST!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.