Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0017na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

Really hope someone will be able to help. I need more space on my boot-drive so I want to upgrade it from the current 256GB. However, after looking inside the case I'm a little confused. 

The installed SSD has a sticker saying "Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe (M. 2 2280-S3-B-M)", but printed on the motherboard, next to the SSD connection, it says clearly "M. 2SATA SSD".  So I want to confirm if the motherboard will support NVMe SSDs???

The motherboard details are as follows: 

• HP name: Berks
  • SSID: 844C
  • Chipset: H370
    many thanks in advance & regards
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your PC indicate it comes with a 256 GB NVMe M.2 SSD.

HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0017na Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Googling the WD part number you referenced indicates the drive is not mislabeled.

It is indeed NVMe.

Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe SSD | Western Digital

I would have to conclude that you can upgrade the storage with a larger capacity NVMe M.2 SSD, though I must admit I have never seen a NVMe drive with two notches.

Check your PC's M.2 slot and make sure that it only has one key and not two.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding Paul,

the SSD has 2 keys M + B, however the socket on mobo only has one (on the M).

I was hoping a rep. from HP would respond with "official" confirmation of what can/can't be plugged in - I just want to avoid wasting my time (and potentially money) getting the wrong item.

much appreciate your help!

regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since this is a peer to peer forum, I don't believe that will happen.

Since the slot only has one key, then any NVMe drive should work.

If you want to talk with someone from HP,  you can try calling HP customer service at the link below, but if your PC is out of warranty they may want to charge you to answer the question.

Contact HP - Phone Assist | HP® United Kingdom

I am very confident that a NVMe drive will work.

If you buy one from Amazon.UK, don't they have hassle-free returns?

They do here in the USA.

HP Recommended

Yep I'll give HP a call in the Morning (UK)...

thanks again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.