Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-195na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, my PC has an Odense-2S motherboard (pretty sure), and I've been wanting to upgrade from an i5-6400 to an i7-7700k, as well as from a gtx 950 to a gtx 1070, and to 16 GB 2133 mhz ram, however im totally unsure with some of the compatibility, mainly the CPU. Are these upgrades okay to go with?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MrEaster,

According to the spec page your limited to the Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake) 3.4 GHz Quad Core (65W).  The i7-7700k is higher wattage, and the chip would not be suitable.  The BIOS would not support "over-clock".

The GTX1070 would not operate without a new PSU rated at 500W with an 8 pin PCIE power lead.

RAM is specific, here is an example of what works.  Two 8GB modules are $208.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MrEaster,

According to the spec page your limited to the Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake) 3.4 GHz Quad Core (65W).  The i7-7700k is higher wattage, and the chip would not be suitable.  The BIOS would not support "over-clock".

The GTX1070 would not operate without a new PSU rated at 500W with an 8 pin PCIE power lead.

RAM is specific, here is an example of what works.  Two 8GB modules are $208.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001,

Thanks for replying! I appreciate the help, but just further information, would a i7-7700 , ( non-K version ) work? I've seen somewhere that it's a 65 W version or something, or is it still out of the question and should i settle for a 6700? For GPU, assuming i account for the PSU, the 1070 should be fine, correct? Finally, for ram, would any 2133Mhz RAM work? For example, a Corsair vengeance 2133mhz 8 gb stick? 

Thanks again. 🙂

HP Recommended

@MrEaster,

You asked what would work.  I supplied you with answers that work. 

The motherboard has NOT been rated with any version  of the 7700 chip.

RAM is extremely complex.  Only certain modules work in a specificed motherboard.

The only issue that I do agree is the GXT1070 with the recommended PSU.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Alright, thank you ! You've been very helpful, that pretty much solves what i needed to know then. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.