Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 590 p0039
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed the Ryzen 5 2400G cpu from the original amd a12 cpu. My problem is the fan and heat sink for the Ryzen dosnt fit the mother board so I decided to leave the Ryzen 5 installed and reinstalled the original a12 heat sink. Everything is working fine for now but what can happen and what fan and heat sink upgrade can I get? There wasn't much or any thermal paste is my cpu safe and for how long.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The new Ryzen 2400G heat sink and fan are not compatible?  What is the problem? 

Is it because the HP motherboard CPU socket mounting points don't match the new Ryzen 2400G heat sink? Ryzen AM4 socket mounting points are rectangular. Your MB mounting points look square and somewhat similar to Intel CPU socket mounting points.

I can't answer what heat sink and fan will work unless I know why the 2400G heat sink does not work.

Both processors (A12 and 2400G) are rated at up to a 65 watt TDP. The HP stock heat sink and fan should be okay.

Did you clean the HP heat sink and apply thermal compound to the new CPU?

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes they don't match the new Ryzen heat sink and fan will not screw into the mounting points on the motherboard. Its a larger heat sink. I didn't clean the heat sink or apply thermal paste there is some paste left from the a12 cpu now on it. The case and fan are staying cool so the stock heat sink is working but I am still concerned the new cpu requires a larger more powerful fan like what came with the Ryzen. I will be picking up some thermal paste. 

HP Recommended

Hi Clayton3,

HP designs chassis, motherboards, and components to their specifications.

An Intel CPU cooling MB back plate/heat sink solution may work if your PC's MB CPU socket mounting points match Intel's specs.

I don't know because I have not worked with this motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks, I will consider having a back plate installed if I can find a compatible one. For now I believe the stock fan is working very well at temperatures idle 28-29c load 40-50c and demanding games 60-70c maxing at solid 80c. Thermal paste was very important and after I updated the motherboard bios it runs excellent! 

HP Recommended

Hi Clayton3,

You're very welcome.

Don't fix it if it is not broken.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.