Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P7-1254
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok so just a little back story on my desktop, bought it brand new a while back and at the time I had upgraded the graphics card to an AMD R9-270x sapphire series and updated the PSU to a 500w. Eventually i just didn't have anytime to play games anymore and my desktop just sat around collecting dust. Well as the time goes on I start thinking about my old gaming desktop so I pull out, fire it up and get it all updated. Which by the way did take a long time. Anyway once its running properly I notice that its just not keeping up with a game i like to play ( WoW) and would really just like to make some minor upgrades to it so I can squeeze just a little more life out of this thing. So I did some research and found out that I can upgrade the CPU to a AMD A8-3850.  I ended up having more questions than answers and I have been scrounging the internet in hopes to have them answered. My questions are as follows....

When upgrading my CPU will the stock heat sink be able to handle the new chip? I would like to upgrade my RAM as well but I seem to keep finding some conflicting information. Supposedly the AAHD2-HY motherboard can only handle 8gb of total RAM. However when I look into the manual provided by HP for servicing and upgrading my desktop it says that it can handle a total of 16GB. When it mentions it can only take 8gb of RAM is that per slot or total between the two slots? What would happen if I put two 8gb sticks of RAM into it? What are some tips that I should be aware of prior to making the CPU switch? If I do need to upgrade my heat sink I have this model in mind https://www.newegg.com/raijintek-themis-black-0r100010/p/13C-001T-00006 does anyone know if this will work?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello
for the memory here it is indicated max 8 gb

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
    • PC3-14400 (DDR3-1866)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB or 4 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems

that said sometimes it is possible to install more, if the processor allows it, it is quite random
try the scan

Welcome to Crucial USA

for the processor, better a suitable ventilation if it is more powerful, I doubt that the original one is correct

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p7-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187022/model/5192661/doc...

possibly I would advise you to add it if possible, or replace the HDD with a sata SSD

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.