Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to all.

I would like to upgrade my desktop PC, with a new graphics card. I built a computer once with the help of a friend. But they are hard to contact, and I would like to see if I can do it on my own. But the companies that sell PC products, don't seem to want to sell their products. Because they all, set everything up differently, making it hard to figure out, what I have and what will work and so I don't have to stumble around in the dark, hoping that the card that I'm waiting for isn't the wrong one when it gets here.

Please advise and educate me? Mark

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@madhatter03 , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

Once I have this information I will be glad to help choose the appropriate video card and help you get it installed.  I like to use this Community to, not only solve problems, but teach members how to do their own upgrades.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello:

My product number should be NOA97AA#ABA. Otherwise, thank you for your assistance. Mark.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @madhatter03!

Here are the Product Specifications and the Motherboard Specifications for the computer.

The first thing that you have to do is upgrade the power supply unit (PSU).  The current PSU is only 180W.  This is not nearly enough power to run a newer video card.  I recommend a minimum of 500W.  Here is a good example of what you need.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what you need to consider when upgrading the video card.  Once you have read this article you will be know how to determine if a video card will fit and run in your system.

If you look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" in the Motherboard Specifications it shows as follows: One PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0).  This is the slot where the video card is installed.  With the PSU upgrade you can buy a very good card.  Here is a card that will give you a good performance boost.  Of course, there are cards that cost much more.  However, they will not give you that much more performance.

Another consideration for boosting system performance is a Solid State Drive (SSD).  You would have to replace the exiting HDD, but it can be used for storage.  You will need an adapter to connect the SSD to the computer to clone the HDD to it.  I have this adapter and use it all of the time to connect my EVO 840 that I use for storage.

If you need further help, let me know.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.