Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1110
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP p7-1110 that I wish to upgrade the video card for 4 monitor support.  My system is currently running win 7 home premium 64 bit ver 6.1.7601 SP1 build 7601.  My processor is an Intel i3-2120, I have 6GB RAM.  My BIOS is AMI 7.16 dated 10/5/11 - the latest version according to the HP support site.  I purchased a VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 eye 4 (https://www.visiontek.com/radeon-7750-sff-2gb-gddr5-4m-4x-minidp.html) and when I install the card, I get no output to the monitors.  I can not see the system perform the power on test.   I have verified that the card and monitor cables work by testing them on an alternate system.  The monitors work also.  The power supply has been upgraded and VisionTek indicates it should be adequate.  I am replacing a Sapphire Radeon 7750 card described at this link:  https://www.cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-hd-7750-graphics-card-radeon-hd-7750-1-gb-112020020g/s... What else do I need to do to make the new video card work?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

the problem is most likely how you are connecting to the monitor(s)

with the new card installed does the system appear to boot and enter windows? (just with no display)

(if you have 2 16x slots)

try installing the old video card in the primary 16x slot and the new one in the second 16x slot, with the monitor connected to the old card boot and open device manager, do you see the two video cards listed? if so the problem is between the card and your monitor 

how are you connecting the card/monitor?    using a display port cable or a HDMI cable with a display port adapter 

if the monitor has inputs for HDMI and display port, have you told the monitor to switch it's video in from the HDMI to the display port 

the card you bought uses display Port revision 1.2 which allows daisy chaining the monitors if they have display port connectors, if not then you must be using display port to HDMI adapters?

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Hi, can you get one monitor working with the new graphics card installed? Additional complexity makes troubleshooting more difficult.

I see your PC shipped from the factory with only baked in Intel graphics as an option. You must have added the Sapphire graphics card at some point. The Sapphire card was working fine. The new Visiontek graphics card has issues.

Your PC only has VGA and DVI-D video ports.  Are you using an adapter to connect to the, known, good, monitor HDMI port or Display Port? This may also cause problems.

You have a failure point in the chain. The only new device, per your description, is the graphics card.

It is possible you may have damaged the x16 slot on the motherboard.

Try the Sapphire card to see if it still works.

Regards

HP Recommended

Computer does not boot with new card installed.  I can boot without an aftermarket display card (onboard VGA) or with the first video card upgrade I purchased in 2015, but with the new one, the disk activity light shows no activity and there is no boot and thus no windows start up sound.  There is only one PCIe slot on this PC.  The new monitor connections use no adapters, just a mini DP on one end to DP on the other.  I have manually selected the appropriate input (DP) when trying the new card.  When I am using the first video card purchased, the monitors autodetect the input.  I am not daisy chaining monitors.  Each is connected directly to the PC/video card.  I have tried connecting only one and that does not work either. 

Borrowed a Nvidia Quadro M2000 4GB 4 port GPU card from another PC and installed it in this computer.  Computer will boot but will not recognize the Nvidia card either.  Tried installing the Nvidia Win 7 64bit drivers but Nvidia install program says the "driver is not compatible with this version of windows" and it cannot find the hardware.  At least it boots and I get output from the onboard VGA.  An improvement, but does not get me to operating 3 3840x2160 monitors.  The version of Windows installed in Windows 7 home premium, SP1, 64 bit.

HP Recommended

if you were able to borrow a card from another system, try installing your card in that system and see if you get a display during boot

if so then it's the card and YOUR SYSTEM that has a problem

it's possible the card is not disabling the onboard video (if system has onboard video)

nvidia makes some quadro cards that support multimonitor

HP Recommended

I tried the new card in the alternate system and it worked fine. 

With the new card in my system, I am not getting onboard video either.  No disk activity, no BIOS activity that I can see, no POST. 

The supplier recommends I upgrade my PSU to ensure I have enough power in the PCIe slot.  If they require that before they will acccept a return, I can do it. 

The alternate card I tried was an Nvidia card, but the drivers would not install.  Hoping to find a different Nvidia card for another test as it worked a little better.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.