Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-121nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am intending to upgrade my power supply and graphics card on my HP Pavilion 550-121nd Desktop.

I have read many posts on this forum pointing out things to take into account when upgrading. 

I am assuming I can insert a Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4G when also replacing the power supply with 550 wattage.

I have seen many HP employees recommending popular power supplies like Corsair. This type of power supply is quite different however compared to the integrated one (180 W uATX Energy Star 6.0 internal power supply), which has its fan pointed to the back, releasing its air out the back of the tower.
When using the Corsair type of supply, this would not be possible, meaning the fan would have to face down into the interior of the tower, blowing its hot air over the motherboard and against the inserted video card. 

My question is, is this kind of replacement possible and is it wise, could that not cause overheating issues inside the tower?

Considering many HP support employees suggest the Corsair brand, they seem to assume it should not be a problem, but I would like to be sure. 

Thank you for any response.

Regards,

Tez

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

IMHO  the fan that is pointing down is the air intake and the fan runs to push air out the back

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

That would make sense, I already was wondering if the air is going in or out at the fan, but could not read about it anywhere.
It does mean the two power supplies have reversed airflows. In the built-in HP branded one the hot air goes into the tower, since it pulls cool air in from the back, photo example:
https://www.centralpoint.nl/power-supply-units/hp/power-supply-output-rated-at-240-watts-12vdc-92-ef...

I just now stumbled on this article, which explains it nicely:
https://blog.nzxt.com/which-way-should-a-psu-fan-point/ 

So you conclude it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.