Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Omen 875-034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Anticipating I will eventually be able to buy an RTX 3080, I decided to upgrade to an EVGA 850 GR modular power supply. The Edoras 84FD motherboard has a square 4 pin power connector in the upper left corner of the board. This appears to power the case and CPU cooling fans. The power supply came with a cable for the CPU which is 6 pins on the power supply side and 2 4 pin connectors on the MB side. Trying either of those 4 pin connectors didn't work. The system would not power up. I spoke with EVGA tech support and they had no information on this MB.

If I could find detailed information on this MB, I may be able to find the correct cable, or, if not, make one. I am nearly frustrated enough to just buy a new MB and case.

Anyone have any info on this? Has anyone successfully replaced the power supply in this system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The four pin MB connector (EPS cable) provides additional power to the CPU.

The EVGA PSU should work if both the 24 pin and four pin connectors are securely connected to the motherboard and the power supply. HP could also have modified the wiring assignments on either or both MB power connectors. 

Have you used the EVGA provided power on self tester to verify the power supply works? EVGA power supplies have an ON/OFF switch. Are you powering on the PSU?

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

The four pin MB connector (EPS cable) provides additional power to the CPU.

The EVGA PSU should work if both the 24 pin and four pin connectors are securely connected to the motherboard and the power supply. HP could also have modified the wiring assignments on either or both MB power connectors. 

Have you used the EVGA provided power on self tester to verify the power supply works? EVGA power supplies have an ON/OFF switch. Are you powering on the PSU?

Regards

HP Recommended

Oddly enough, although it seemed the 4 pin CPU connector was my issue, it turned out to be a bad SATA cable. When I removed the SATA cable, everything worked fine. I replace the bad cable and everything is all good.

Thank you for your quick response.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

A bad SATA cable. Good to know you found the culprit.

You have to troubleshoot every possibility when bad stuff happens.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I appreciate the solution but I did not solve the problem.

You did.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well, when people are searching, I wanted them to see the problem had been resolved so they know to look here for help. You definitely pointed me in the right direction.

I had noted just plugging in the 4 pin CPU cable (and nothing else), plugging in the self tester and turning on the power supply, the CPU and case fans powered up, telling me everything was good there. From there, it was a matter of adding back one cable at a time until it stopped working,

Thank you again! You rock! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Nice troubleshooting!

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi.

One last question.

Did you have a bad EVGA provided SATA power cable? 

Regards

HP Recommended

No. The EVGA SATA cables have a straight connector. Using them in the Omen case does not allow me to replace the side cover. I have some cables from another modular PSU, so I used one of them. It may not be "bad", just incompatible. I'm not sure which, but either way it didn't work.

I've contacted EVGA support to see if they have a cable available with the correct 90° connector.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.