Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0013w Gaming Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Would I be able to upgrade from 310w psu (prebuilt) to 500w psu without anything breaking?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

if hp offered a optional 500 watt supply using the same motherboard that is in your current system then you can safely use it without any problems

you need to confirm the motherboard part because HP sometimes uses diffrent motherboards in a series if you upgrade the cpu or video cards

your system uses a "sunflower" motherboard

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06102953

HP sometimes uses non standard ATX pinouts on the power supplies, if you connect a AXT supply and get a no boot or power on then right off your system is using a custom supply

i do know that hp offers a 500 watt supply for some systems

last, be aware that installing a diffrent supply can invalidate your warranty on the system

HP Recommended

It looks like the motherboard has 2 4 pin and 1 8 pin for power. So I would have to find something with those pins? Or could I use an adapter?

HP Recommended

as far as i know no ATX power supply adapter currently exists for this specific motherboard.

while one could be made as a custom adapter, the cost and time to locate someone willing to do this is not a cost efective endevor for most people. however if you have a local hackerspace near you then contact someone from there and ask them

also keep in mind that your case was made with specific thermals in mind and that adding a card that exceeds this will cause numerous problems 

this hp series does come with a optional  500 watt supply that might be compatable with your motherboard

• HP ENVY: 795-0040xt
  • Product number: 4AB23AV
HP Recommended

Well I got a 690-0067c, 

Was struggle with the sunflower mainboard which is build for a non-upgraded HP pc, whatever it is I research and test with the PSU 500w from 790 model, it did work well with sunflower mainboard ( same connector cable), it fit in 690 small case, but I could only put 1 screw in to secure the PSU.

Beside the different design for the case, everything perfect. ... I still keep the 500w PSU for my 690 model, and upgrade it with a AMD 580 MSI 8GB (old model which is smaller than the popular 580 8GB now) ... everything run soo perfect ...

Here is the PSU part number in case anyone need it : L05757-800

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=B1570052638A4BC9B75C76483E1116B7&SearchInc=...

Here is the link for MSI AMD 580 8GB can fit in small case HP pavilion gaming 690:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137244&Description=msi%20580&cm_re=msi_580...

After struggle finding a upgrade PSU, I did it, it work, and now I want to share with you guys so badly. Although you might need a better fan to suck the hot air better, since the air harly circulate inside the case and AMD GPU is kinda hot when running 

:))

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.