Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade the video card in the  HP Pavilion 590-p0050. I'm looking for suggestions. I'm not a gamer. I'm a website designer and programmer. I use my desktop for everyday uses such as netflix/other video sites, email, social media, ect.

Also if I upgrade the video card. Do I need to upgrade the psu? or will the original psu handle an upgraded video card?

I appreciate any suggestions.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@onenerdtech, welcome to the forum.

Here is a video card that should work for you.  I chose this card, though it says it is for gaming, because I know that it will fit into your case and has been tested to run with a 300W power supply unit (PSU).  Otherwise, you would have to upgrade the PSU, also.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Will this one fit in my case and will my psu handle it?

HP Recommended

@onenerdtech, it looks like it should work.  You may want to contact PNY's Tech Support to see what they have to say.  They are the experts on their products.

HP Recommended

I am going to assume that your computing machine is as specified by HP, specifically that it uses integrated Intel graphics.

Your desktop is almost the same as mine (a 590-p0057c). The differences I see are 16GB of memory vs. 8GB of memory, an AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB video card instead of using the Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics, and you look to have an Optane module in the M.2 slot to accelerate your traditional hard drive, while I had an empty M.2 slot. I have since filled that empty slot with a 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD.

Looking to the future of perhaps upgrading the video card I found that getting a graphic card that isn't over clocked for gaming, that results in a rise of about 15 Watts of power consumption, would allow me to get something up to a Radeon RX 560 or Nividia 1050 or 1050Ti. If you start poking into the innards of your computing machine you will notice a 6 pin connector (if yours is like mine) that I suppose could give additional power to your GPU, BUT I've played around with total Watts consumed and go with the rule that your component's total Watts should not add up to more than about 80 percent of the total of your PSU.

I use my computer just for running some virtual instances of Linux, some dabbling into programming and processing of photos to print: no gaming, no full time 4k video editing, no Numba Python, or any compiling that requires the CUDA Toolkit or the like. Thus, no need for a big graphics card.

The suggested 1050Ti card by 'old_geekster' would perfectly fit the power requirements, 75 Watts. My card, the AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB draws between 65 to 75 watts (depending on manufacturer). It does not seem to make much difference between how much memory: 2GB or 4GB.

So, I don't think that you would have to upgrade your PSU (actually, you can't, the motherboard uses a propriety design).

Note: I used the pcpartpicker website to craft a computer (including the fan!) like mine and am relying on its numbers for many of my calculations. It where I figured out the better deal was buying an HP instead of building my own PC.

enjoy!

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
HP Recommended

@oldgeekster is the graphics card you recommended also compatible with a HP Pavilion 590-p0033w?

HP Recommended

I would caution that the original discussion was on the 590-p0050, which has a 310W PSU (Power Supply Unit). The Power Supply Unit for the 590-p0030w has a power supply that is 130 watts less coming with an 180W power supply. Perfectly fit to purpose for a system with the integrated GPU. My suspicion is that the results of putting in a card under discussion, has a high likelyhood of not working.

In fact, my earlier post of my recommendations are also probably in error. I looked at the cards I though would work, based on the TDP (Thermal Design Power) are probably off, since I found benchmarks that describe not TDP, but actual Watts pulled under various usage scenarios, and (WOW), those are diferent, and higher that the TDP numbers I was using.

Sometimes it seems that the more I learn, the more my earlier confidence in what I thought I knew dissipates. I take comfort in knowing I can at least figure out what I didn't get right.

enjoy!

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
HP Recommended

@Jt3399, , welcome to the forum.

@Jt3399 wrote:

@oldgeekster is the graphics card you recommended also compatible with a HP Pavilion 590-p0033w?

The video card will be compatible with the motherboard, but the power supply unit (PSU) in your computer is only 180W.  Therefore, you would have to upgrade the PSU, as well.  It appears from the diagram of the motherboard that there is no standard ATX power connector.  I checked HP Partsurfer to see if HP had an upgrade, but they only have the original PSU listed.  It will be difficult to find a PSU that has the proprietary connectors.  I don't recommend that you try to upgrade.

HP Recommended

@jtpolk, it is getting more difficult to recommend video cards.  The HP motherboards released before mid-October, 2012, don't have UEFI.  The last cards to not require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.  The newer HP motherboards have the 4-pin power connectors which makes it almost impossible to find PSU upgrades that will work.  The only way to get one is if HP has them available through HP Partsurfer.  I have come to the conclusion the best option is to tell the members to choose a video card manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for their systems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.