Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 550-279na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to upgrade the video card for mostly  dealing with large image files in Lightroom (no gaming). Existing original card is AMD Radeon R5 330. Also any recommendations for additional RAM (currently 8Gb) wantting to go to 16GB.

Thanks,

Mikey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MikeyPatrick , welcome to the forum.

Do you prefer AMD or nVidia video cards?

Upgrading the video card will mean that you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), also.  The current PSU is only 180W.  Newer video cards require at least 300W or more to operate properly.  I normally recommend that the PSU have at least 100W to 150W more power than the video card requires.  This allows for power for peak needs.

Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.  Crucial makes very good memory for OEM computers.  They are the retail division of Micron.  You may have to remove the current memory if the memory you want to buy is not compatible with it.  I suggest that you run CPU-Z to check the brand and timings of the current memory.  You will find this information in the tab titled "SPD".  Once you have this information you can contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if their memory is compatible with it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MikeyPatrick , welcome to the forum.

Do you prefer AMD or nVidia video cards?

Upgrading the video card will mean that you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), also.  The current PSU is only 180W.  Newer video cards require at least 300W or more to operate properly.  I normally recommend that the PSU have at least 100W to 150W more power than the video card requires.  This allows for power for peak needs.

Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.  Crucial makes very good memory for OEM computers.  They are the retail division of Micron.  You may have to remove the current memory if the memory you want to buy is not compatible with it.  I suggest that you run CPU-Z to check the brand and timings of the current memory.  You will find this information in the tab titled "SPD".  Once you have this information you can contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if their memory is compatible with it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. If I'm going to need a new PSU as well then perhaps I'll look at getting a whole new PC, it may be more cost effective in the long run.

Mike

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @MikeyPatrick!  I am always glad to help.

I would be glad to make recommendations for a computer that will be exactly what you need.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.