Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a262ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community,

I have a problem with my All in One PC. I want to upgrade it from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional. I bought a Product Key for Windows 10 Professional but the Problem is that the old Windows 10 Home Product Key is deposited in the BIOS, so everytime I try to type in the new Product Key the PC gives me an error code. These error codes don't help me because they don't display my problem. I already tried to update the BIOS and I tried to use the Universal Key to make Windows not activated. It hasn't helped at all.

So here are my Questions:

Is it possible to delete the old Product Key from the BIOS

If not is there any Chance to replace the keys or that the new key could overwrite the old key.

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english, if you are German you can answer me in German.

Kind Regards 

Lucas Hellwig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That can't be right, since there is a procedure to upgrade from Home to Pro.

Many folks on this forum have successfully upgraded their W10 Home OEM PC's to W10 Pro when they have the W10 Home key in the BIOS.

See if the solution in this post works for you...

Solved: Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade fails - HP Support Community - 7068456

These PC's all came with W10 Home keys in the BIOS...no problems with going to Pro...here are two for example.

Solved: Upgrade Win 10 from Home to Pro. - HP Support Community - 6775857

Solved: HP Envyx360 -upgrade from win10 home to Pro????? - HP Support Community - 6286478

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no way to erase W10 Home product key in the BIOS.

The only way I know of that you can upgrade from Home to Pro is to follow the instructions below.

If this is what you have done, then you will need to contact Microsoft for further assistance.

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation .

2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.

3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Get help with Windows activation errors (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

First thank you for your fast reply.

I already tried your instructions before.

I also looked up all the error codes that came by trying it. I read a thread like half an hour before from a person that had the same problem but in that thread someone answered that, cause the PC came with an Windows 10 Home OS preinstalled it isn't possible to change the Windows Version. The Version was preinstalled on the Motherboard. There are no options to change the version without changing the Motherboard. But somehow the PC was on Windows 10 Pro before. But just after I startet normal Windows Updates (because my first plan was to make the pc faster) the Windows 10 Pro version wasn't activated anymore.

I made an Backup of the Image from the PC and tried to reinstall Windows and then it began.

So to summaries:

It just isn't possible to upgrade the PC to Windows 10 Pro BUT it was installed before. It just deactivated it license after starting normal Windows Updates

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That can't be right, since there is a procedure to upgrade from Home to Pro.

Many folks on this forum have successfully upgraded their W10 Home OEM PC's to W10 Pro when they have the W10 Home key in the BIOS.

See if the solution in this post works for you...

Solved: Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade fails - HP Support Community - 7068456

These PC's all came with W10 Home keys in the BIOS...no problems with going to Pro...here are two for example.

Solved: Upgrade Win 10 from Home to Pro. - HP Support Community - 6775857

Solved: HP Envyx360 -upgrade from win10 home to Pro????? - HP Support Community - 6286478

HP Recommended

'm going to look through this links.

Thank you very much, if I have anymore questions i'm going to reply to this thread.

Thanks 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to be of assistance.

There are other posts as well where folks had issues going from Home to Pro...

Solved: How to upgrade from win 10 home core edition to win 10 pro ... - HP Support Community - 7516...

This was for a clean install...

Solved: upgrade My HP Pavilion 24-K0000nx from windows 10 home to Pr... - HP Support Community - 772...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.