cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
KisselK
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Want to Upgrade Pavilion dv7t-3100 to SSD EVO - What type/size?

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7t-3100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade our Pavilion to a SSD EVO, however, I can't find anything (website, etc., incl. HP) that'll guide me as to:

1. if there's a specific type of SSD I have to use for the Pavilion
  2. what size (1T, 2T) I'll need; see screenshots below

KisselK_1-1631045421849.png

KisselK_2-1631045542382.png

Any help/advise that can be offered I'd greatly appreciate.

Thank you, in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
95,798 64,512 12,408 21,371
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KisselK 

It is a CTO machine which has 2.5" HDD. You can upgrade it any standard 2.5" SATA SSD to your machine. There are many around such as Crucial MX500  series, Samsung 860/870 EVO series ... or from other vendors.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
itsmyname
Level 8
2,664 2,646 95 284
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KisselK --  what size (1T, 2T) I'll need; see screenshots below

The screenshots for each of the two disk-drive give the size (320 GB) of each disk-drive, but it does not show how full each disk-drive is.

If you open the Windows "File Explorer", and right-mouse-button click on each disk-drive, and then select "Properties", you'll see a graph, somewhat like:

Capture.JPG

that shows the "percentage-full".

Note that the most-common sizes for SSD devices are: 64 GB, 120 GB, 240 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB.

Given that it is getting more difficult to purchase 64 GB and 120 GB disk-drives, and the fact that these 2 sizes are almost as expensive as the 240/256/512 GB devices, I would not purchase the 64 or 120 devices.

Also, I see that one of your disk-drives is labelled as "DATA".  To me, this implies that you only rarely read/write your files into this partition, unlike the continuous input/output activity on your 'C:" disk-drive.

So, I think there is very little to be gained by replacing this disk-drive by a SSD device.

However, my guess is that any 320 GB disk-drive is getting "old" (5 years? 6 years?) and should be proactively replaced, before it unexpectedly (and at the worst-possible time) "fails". That 320 GB disk-drive probably came with a 1-year or 2-year warranty -- you probably are well beyond the warranty-period.

Bottom line:

1. purchase a 512 GB SSD. It will hold everything stored on your 320 GB 'C:" disk-drive, with almost 200 GB of additional "free" space.
  2. purchase a 240/256 GB SSD to replace your "Data" device, unless this disk-drive currently is nearly full; in that case, you'll need to purchase another 512 GB SSD.

These sizes should meet your "needs". Achieving your "wants" might change your purchase to that of a more-expensive 1TB SSD.

I hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation