Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProDesk 400 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am looking into how to upgrade the graphics card in a ProDesk 400 G6 (i7-9700). I need to be able to connect 4 monitors and it looks like the Intel UHD Graphics 630 can only support 3. Two questions really:

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable graphics card for this PC? Would like one with 2 x HDMI/DVI/DP if poss
  2. Given that the standard PSU in the G6 is just 180W, I'm assuming that would also need upgrading? And if so, any suggestions as to which PSU would be suitable?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@slicendice73 , welcome to the forum.

Is your computer a Mini PC, Microtower PC or Small Form Factor?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks old_geekster 🙂

Sorry, should have said...it's a micro tower

HP Recommended

No problem, @slicendice73!  Thank you for the additional information.

You are going to have difficulty upgrading your power supply unit (PSU).  It has a HP proprietary 4-pin main power connector on the motherboard.  The standard ATX connector is 24-pin.  The other more powerful PSU's are 250W and 310W.  I can't find a Part # for either of them.  Without a PSU upgrade it is nearly impossible to upgrade the video card.  The newer cards require a minimum of 300W to 350W to operate properly.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info old_geekster.

You've confirmed what I suspected to be the case, which I guess means that I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a 4-monitor solution. The hunt goes on...!

Thanks again for your help...much appreciated.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @slicendice73!

I wanted to tell you about another option that you might consider:  https://www.startech.com/AV/display-and-video-adapters/USB-Video-Adapters/USB-3-to-DVI-External-Vide...

StarTech has good products and many different types of the adapters in my link.  I believe that it would give you what you need.  If you have questions about their products, you can contact their Tech Support using their Chat Live option.  I have used them often with great success!

Good luck!

HP Recommended

That's an interesting option, thank you. D'you know if this would work efficiently if all three of the 630 ports were occupied as well? Would Windows be able to sense that it was an extra monitor?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @slicendice73!

I believe that it should work efficiently.  However, as I suggested, it would be good to contact StarTech's Tech Support to assure everything will work.  They are the experts on their products.

I don't know if the Integrated Video will work if you install a discrete video card.  This is normally the way HP's motherboards are setup.  I am not that familiar with the business desktops, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.