Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 520-1030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased Chief Architect Home Designer Pro 2020 software. While waiting for its delivery, I decided to install the product on this HP 23" screen computer. Realizing that the video card/driver needs to be upgraded, of course I got the ERROR message reminding me of the need to update. I did update recently with Windows 10 Home version as of 1/23/2020, but that wasn't sufficient enough! I need a MINIMUM video card/driver with OpenGL of 3.3 or higher. Please advise what is the BEST product that my HP TouchSmart 520-1030 will support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Lynn5379!  My goal is to not have members buying components that won't actually help solve their problem.

You may be on to something with your suggestion about upgrading the processor to add a more powerful Integrated Video.  Here is the Product Specifications page for your AIO.  Look at the section titled "Processor/Processor upgrade information".  I believe that the Core i7-2600s (Sandy Bridge) quad core may be the solution.  It has Intel® HD Graphics 2000 video graphics.  Click on the ? next to it in the link I provided to see what is has to say.  It would not only add better Integrated Graphics, but it would increase system performance.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@Lynn5379 , welcome to the forum.

Your motherboard only has "One PCI Express MXM slot that supports a PCI Express x16 graphics card (Generation 2 speed)".  Look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" in the link that I provided.  The MXM video cards are mainly used by OEM manufacturers, such as, HP.  Therefore, they are very difficult to find.  Your best option would be to search ebay.  However, you have to assure that the card will work with a standard/Legacy BIOS.  Newer cards require UEFI in the motherboard.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released in September, 2011.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I CERTAINLY appreciate your well-articulated insight! Please advise if the solution to my conundrum, given the fact that my HP 520-1030 computer was released in 2011, and now I am in need of a video driver beyond this CPUs capability, WOULD UPGRADING TO A MORE POWERFUL CPU SOLVE MY PROBLEM AND PROVIDE A VIDEO DRIVER WITH an OpenGL 3.3 or higher video card/driver?  I am so much in search of a solution so as to run my software at optimum performance!!!!

THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!!

Lynn5379 

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Lynn5379!  My goal is to not have members buying components that won't actually help solve their problem.

You may be on to something with your suggestion about upgrading the processor to add a more powerful Integrated Video.  Here is the Product Specifications page for your AIO.  Look at the section titled "Processor/Processor upgrade information".  I believe that the Core i7-2600s (Sandy Bridge) quad core may be the solution.  It has Intel® HD Graphics 2000 video graphics.  Click on the ? next to it in the link I provided to see what is has to say.  It would not only add better Integrated Graphics, but it would increase system performance.

HP Recommended

KUDDOS!  I am moving forward with your suggestion and feel that I am heading in the right direction! 

So grateful for your time and insight into my computer issue! Thank you for willingly sharing your wisdom and understanding of technology with others on a volunteer basis!

Respectfully submitted,

Lynn5379

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Lynn5379!  Believe me, it is my pleasure to help others.  Comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

HP Recommended

The CPU you suggested has been ordered and is on its way! I'm VERY excited! I have read, researched, and watched many informative videos regarding its performance capabilities!! It certainly has been given great reviews! 

Sincerely grateful!

Lynn5379

HP Recommended

WOW!  It is not often that we have a member get so excited, but it is wonderful!  😉  I believe that your excitement should be rewarded by better video and system performance.  Going from a Dual-core to a Quad-core processor is a major step up!

HP Recommended

The ETA on my new CPU is this Friday. One final question if I may: 

Do I dare attempt the installation myself? After watching a particular YouTube video specific to my computer entitled,

"Open Me Up, HP TouchSmart 520",MULTIPLE TIMES, I feel that I am capable of replacing that CPU!

If you have to hesitate to answer, PLEASE advise me who specifically I should contact?

With much admiration,

Lynn5379

HP Recommended

@Lynn5379, upgrading the processor can be a bit intimidating.  However, with some ingenuity and patients it can be DIY.  I suggest looking at as many videos as possible to assure that you understand what to do.  The one that you mentioned sounds like a good option.  The main thing is to get the thermal paste/compound covering the processor so it doesn't over-heat.  If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I suggest that you use an anti-static wrist strap to assure that you don't damage any components.  Some will tell you it is not necessary, but I believe in safety first!!  I am not a wealthy person and don't want to spend more money that necessary.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.