Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to add additional storage but as I have no extra Sata ports I can't just add a hard drive. I notice there seems to be an m.2 port on the motherboard but I am guessing it will need to be a very short m.2 drive.

Anyone know what can be installed into this machine?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Depending on which model of HP ProDesk 400 G4, it seems the mini can take a full size M2 2280.  The others probably can also, but I cannot verify unless you can indicate why you suspect the model in question does not and which model specifically.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The machine I have is a HP Prodesk G4 SFF

i5-7500

There is no model name on the machine this is what I got from System Settings within windows.

When I open the machine it looks like the m.2 drive would need to be very short as the slot is to the side of the board and the hold down screw is only about 2.5cm from the port. the distance from the port to the end of the motherboard is only about 3.5 cm

HP Recommended

The location you are referring to is for the WLAN module and not a hard drive.

While the spec page indicates it can use PCIe NMVe TLC SSD drives, it appears those are not M2 drives.  From what I have found, the M2 drive must be mounted on a PCIe adapter and not on the motherboard.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Ahhh well thats my plan out of the water. I'll have to ask for a new pc instead.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Sorry to disappoint.

Have a Merry Christmas.  Hope you get the new PC

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.