Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 570-p020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to add a Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express to my Pavillion 570. I know it has two M.2 sockets but nothing is said about what size of M.2 SSD will fit.

One M.2 socket 1, key A

one M.2 socket 3, key M

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Larry

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC's M.2 slot supports a M.2 NVMe SSD, but I doubt the Samsung 980 Pro will run at its rated capacity.

If you plan to transfer it to a more modern PC, then it would be a good investment for the future.

If not, you may want to go with the Evo 970.

The other M.2 slot mentioned is only for the wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul,

Right now I can buy the 980 cheaper than the 970 so would that work in my PC? Also, will my PC handle the 1TB SSD or should I stick with a 500GB SSD?

Thanks again for answering my questions,

Larry

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Larry.

The 980 should work, but I think the slot may not run the drive at its highest rated speed.

There's no specs on the slot version but I don't think it would be PCIe x4.  Probably PCIe x3.

Your option...either the 500 GB or 1 TB drive should work fine.

HP Recommended

Now that I made the "command decision" to buy the M.2 SSD I now notice there is no retention screw on the Motherboard. There are two standoffs but no screw. What size screw is needed or is there a good workaround for this problem?

Regards,

Larry

HP Recommended

Hi, Larry:

I believe you need a 2mm x 3mm machine screw.

Another forum member indicates you can get the screw for $.43 for a package of two at Home Depot.

I found this kit on Amazon.  More than you need but you would have extras.

Amazon.com: M. 2 SSD mounting Screws Kit for Laptop and Nvme m.2 ssd (Screw fit Laptop): Industrial ...

HP Recommended

Thank you again Paul. Since Amazon has become my favorite parts store for some computer parts and ham radio misc parts the screw kit has been ordered. That was very kind of you to even take the time to search Amazon. Actually, just in case I placed my order last night for the screw kit.

Thank you,

Larry

HP Recommended

Anytime, Larry.

It's a shame that HP couldn't include a hold down screw.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7050 and a nifty combination standoff and hold down nylon contraption was included.

It works like a push pin.  Just lay the drive on the hold down and push the nylon pin in the nylon hole to secure it.

Tool-less installation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.